Coconut oil has been one of the superstars when it comes to beautifying your hair or skin. For ages, it has been touted for its versatile features in taking care of multiple hair & skin conditions as well as common health problems.
Our grandmothers and moms have always been a fan of using coconut oil for hair, be it for a hot oil champi, a leave-on treatment for conditioning, or treating hair fall issues. Scroll through to grasp more on the ultimate coconut oil for hair benefits, its usage and tips.
What Are Different Types Of Coconut Oil For Hair?
Picking a good coconut oil for hair is very important as it takes care of all your hair problems. But it is equally important to use the right type of coconut oil for hair to reap maximum benefits from it. Here are the different types of coconut oil available in the market:
|Types of Coconut Oil for Hair||Description|
|Organic Coconut Oil for Hair/ Unrefined Coconut Oil||Organic coconut oil is unbleached and unrefined oil made from coconuts which are organically harvested without the use of herbicides or chemical fertilisers. It is 100% pure and doesn’t undergo a chemical refining process.|
|Cold Pressed or Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for Hair||This type of coconut oil is derived from the meat of the coconut at a controlled temperature, such that the nutrients in the coconut stay intact. This is the reason extra virgin coconut oil has magnificent benefits.|
|Refined Coconut Oil for Hair||This variant of coconut oil is obtained from dried coconuts which are refined and sterilised through chemical procedures to extract coconut oil.|
6 Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Hair
There are numerous ways to apply coconut oil for hair care. Read along to learn more about the undeniable benefits of coconut for hair and how to apply it:
Coconut Oil For Hair Fall
Coconut oil contains hair-loving nutrients that aid in nourishing the hair follicles and can penetrate deep inside the hair shafts to prevent protein loss. This property of coconut oil strengthens the hair and prevents unwanted breakage.
- How To Apply: Take 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil in a small bowl. Add a few drops of lavender oil to it. Warm it up a bit. Use this mixture to massage your scalp and leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse off your hair. Repeat the process once a week until you see noticeable results.
Coconut Oil For Scalp Health
The natural antibacterial and fungicidal properties of coconut oil effectively work towards keeping scalp irritation, flakiness, and dryness at bay. It also helps deeply moisturise the scalp and prevent dandruff.
- How To Apply: Take 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil. Add 2-3 drops of tea tree essential oil to it. Use your fingertips to massage the mixture to your scalp. Leave on for 15 minutes and then shampoo your hair. Follow this process once a week to maintain scalp health.
Coconut Oil For Hair Growth & Thickness
Coconut oil encourages healthy hair growth. It contains all the necessary fatty acids and vitamins to strengthen the roots and stimulate longer & thicker hair growth.
- How To Apply: Apply coconut oil using your fingertips to massage it into your scalp for 5-10 minutes. Leave it as a pre-shampoo treatment for 30 minutes or overnight. Wash your hair in the morning for the best results. Do this 2-3 times a week for increased hair growth.
Coconut For Dry & Frizzy Hair
One of the pivotal benefits of oiling your hair is that it works as a deep-conditioning and moisturising treatment. This is true for coconut oil, which helps restore the lost moisture in dry hair and smoothen out frizzy ends. It also helps seal split ends and revitalises its natural sheen.
- How To Apply: Apply and emulsify coconut oil to your hair strands using your fingers. Wrap up your head with a hot towel. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes. Shampoo and condition your hair. Repeat this process 1-2 times a week to get rid of dry, frizzy hair.
Coconut Oil For Lice Prevention
Coconut oil contains lauric acid which is effective in killing active head lice. Using it with other carrier oils like olive oil for hair makes it potential for delousing treatment.
- How To Apply: Mix 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil and olive oil in a small bowl. Warm up the mixture and apply it to your scalp. Wash it off after 30 minutes.
Coconut Oil To Prevent Sun Damage
Coconut oil penetrates deep into the hair shaft to offer 20% protection against UVA and UVB rays from the sun. This ensures reduced hair damage due to sun exposure and prevents hair fallout as well.
- How To Apply: Massage your hair and scalp with extra virgin coconut oil for hair fall. Using it biweekly can be beneficial to avert sun damage.
Organic Harvest Recommends Organic Coconut Oil For Hair
Organic Harvest’s Organic Coconut Oil is a cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil. It is a certified organic product which is 100% pure, unrefined and unbleached and works perfectly well as a hair mask, pre-shampoo treatment or leave-on treatment. It has great antibacterial and antifungal properties for lice prevention and soothes dry & itchy scalp conditions.
Price: 795 INR
Buy Link: Organic Coconut Oil For Hair
How To Use Coconut Oil For Hair Growth And Thickness?
Extra virgin coconut oil is one of the best oils for hair growth. The best way to use coconut oil for hair growth is to use it as a hot-oil treatment. Here are the steps to follow:
- Take 3-4 tbsp of natural coconut oil for hair in a small bowl. Warm it up a bit.
- Use your fingertips to gently massage your scalp and make sure to apply it on your hair as well.
- Wait for 15 minutes and then tie up your hair in a lose bun or braid.
- Leave it on for at least 30 minutes or a few hours.
- Shampoo and condition your hair as you normally do.
- Follow this process 2-3 times a week using coconut oil for hair regrowth.
Pro-tip: Mix suitable organic essential oils for hair into coconut oil for hair care at home.
Does coconut oil work for all hair types?
Yes, natural coconut oil works great for all hair types and concerns.
Is virgin coconut oil good for hair?
Yes, extra virgin coconut is ideal for hair care.
What to mix with coconut oil for hair growth?
You can mix essential oils like tea tree oil, lavender oil, almond oil, and argan oil in coconut for hair growth.
Coconut oil works well with?
Coconut oil is a versatile and highly beneficial oil for hair care that goes well with almost all kinds of carrier oils for hair.
How long should you leave coconut oil in your hair?
You can leave coconut oil on your hair for 30 minutes or a few hours.
Should you put coconut oil on wet or dry hair?
For using coconut oil for hair growth it should be applied only on dry hair. However, if you’re using it as a conditioning treatment, apply it on damp or wet hair to increase its absorption capacity.
Can I leave coconut oil in my hair overnight?
Yes, for maximised benefits, you can also keep it overnight and wash it in the morning.
Can coconut oil grow hair in a week?
No, there’s no such evidence that coconut oil makes your hair grow faster. But it improves hair & scalp health that aids in hair growth and thickness.
Do you put coconut oil on the roots or ends?
You should massage coconut oil all the way from roots to ends to add the required nourishment and strength.
How many times a week should I put coconut oil in my hair?
You should oil your hair at least twice a week to promote hair & scalp health.
Should you rinse off coconut oil?
Yes, if you’re using coconut oil as a hair mask or hot oil treatment, you should wash it off with a sulphate and paraben free shampoo after leaving it for a while.
This was everything about using coconut oil for hair care. We hope these benefits of coconut oil for hair come in handy in your haircare journey. It is one of the cheapest natural ways to handle all your hair woes.
Also, do not miss out on discovering the benefits of coconut oil for face, in our next story.
What Are Carrier Oils? – Carrier oils are applied to hair and skin to deeply moisturise and nourish. They are mainly used to dilute essential oils for topical use. Explore the multiple uses of carrier oil for hair & skin concerns.
Lavender Oil for Hair Growth – Lavender oil is a touted remedy for a variety of hair problems. Discover the multiple benefits of lavender oil to maintain hair & scalp health. You can use it in shampoo, hair conditioner or leave-on treatment to get the most of it.
Essential Oils for Hair Growth and Thickness – Essential oils are incredibly potent for hair with therapeutic properties. Upgrade your daily hair care routine with the goodness of essential oils. Click to explore more including some product recommendations.
How to Use Castor Oil for Hair -Castor oil is one of the traditional hair oils to improve hair growth, thickness and strength. Read along to learn more about the multiple ways to use castor oil for hair based on different hair concerns.