Facial steaming is a traditional method of deep cleansing your pores to avoid breakouts, boost hydration, and attain an instant glow at home. We all must have done it at least once in our lifetime. If you’re here to learn more about the multiple benefits of face steaming, you have come to the right place.
But before we delve into it, let’s briefly understand face steaming and why steam is good for skin.
What Is Face Steaming?
Face steaming is a popular skincare treatment to open up clogged pores. It is done by exposing your skin to the steam released from a hot water-filled pot or a special facial steamer. It helps release trapped sebum, dirt, and debris from the pores and increases blood flow making way for clean, clear and glowing skin. It is essentially a part of the exfoliation that makes the extraction process of blackheads quicker and less painful.
Incredible Benefits Of Steaming Your Face
Now that you know the importance of facial steaming, let’s understand what steam does for your skin.
1. Deep Cleans Pores
One of the primary benefits of steam for the face is to clean clogged pores and release trapped oil, dirt and dead skin cells. It is one of the most convenient home remedies for open pores and cleansing. It also helps soften pores, making the blackhead extraction process easier.
2. Increase Blood Circulation
Another important benefit of taking steam on face is that it helps improve blood flow into the dermal layers of the face. Due to this, each skin cell receives the required amount of oxygen and revives itself giving you a naturally radiant glow.
3. Hydrates Skin
Taking a facial steam helps provide hydration to the skin. Having said that, if you indulge too much in streaming, it could lead to reverse results making your skin dry and dehydrated.
4. Boost Collagen And Elastin
It helps improve skin texture, firmness and elasticity making way for healthier-looking skin.
5. Allows Better Absorption Of Skincare Products
Steaming your face allows better penetration of skincare products like serums or moisturisers.
6. Relaxes Skin
The process of facial steaming is really warm and soothing for the skin. It helps calm your skin, relax stretched muscles on the face, and provides relief against stress or anxiety. So, the next time you feel low or tired, try out face steaming with essential oils!
7. Prevents Acne or Minor Skin Infections
Facial steaming zaps off acne-causing bacteria, and removes excess sebum or dead skin cells preventing the occurrence of acne or sudden breakouts. You can use suitable essential oils based on your skin type with antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties to treat common skin infections.
How To Do Face Steaming At Home?
- First off, secure your hair with a headband and wash your face with a gentle cleanser. Pat dry your face with a towel. This step ensures you have a clean canvas.
- Boil a vessel half filled with distilled water. Ensure the water is heated enough to produce the steam. Alternatively, you can also use a facial steamer. Add 1-2 drops of essential oils as per your choice at this point (optional).
- Settle in near a corner or countertop with this vessel and wrap your head over it with a towel to create a tent so that the steam doesn’t escape from either side.
- Make sure to keep a safe distance to avoid burns.
- Steam your face for a good 5-7 minutes but not more than that. Pat dry your face.
- Apply your regular toner with a cotton pad. It helps shrink and tighten pores that are softened due to steaming.
Precautions To Take While Face Steaming At Home
- Protect Your Eyes: Make sure to close your eyes while steaming your face as the steam can lead to irritation or a burning sensation.
- Don’t Over Do It: Your skin might not love too much face steaming as it disrupts the natural moisture barrier function making it dry and dehydrated. This is the reason dermatologists recommend face steaming not more than twice a week.
- Keep it Clean and Hygienic: Since the steam works deep into the pores, it is important to use distilled water and a clean facial steamer for the process.
- Maintain a Safe Distance from the Steam: Never keep your face too close to the steam source as it can result in burns or skin damage. Also, ensure the water is not too hot as that can lead to skin inflammation or irritation.
- Consider Skin Type/Conditions: Avoid face steaming if you have dry or sensitive skin as it can make your skin further dry and irritated. Also, one should avoid face steaming in case of conditions like cystic acne, psoriasis or rosacea.
- Moisturise after Steaming: After steaming the face, make sure to top it off with a toner, serum and moisturiser to protect the skin and restore lost moisture.
- Do Not Steam for Long: Steaming your face longer than usual can cause burns, redness or irritation. Doing it for 5-7 minutes is sufficient to attain desired results.
Is it good to steam your face every day?
No, you should not do face streaming every day as it can strip off the natural oils from the surface of the face causing an imbalance in sebum levels and dryness.
How often should I steam my face?
You can steam your face 1-2 times a week and not beyond that as it might cause harsh effects on the pores.
What are the disadvantages of steaming a face?
If you have dry or sensitive skin, steaming your face might not be right for you as it can disrupt the natural oils on the surface of the face causing further dryness and redness.
What should I do after I steam my face?
Once you are done with face steaming pat dry your face with a smooth cotton towel and massage your skin with a moisturising cream for maximised benefits.
Does steam make your skin glow?
Yes, steaming your face helps purify congested pores and fight acne giving you a naturally glowing skin complexion.
Face steaming is a traditional cleansing method which helps invigorate the skin, exfoliate the pores and remove dead skin cells. It helps remove excess oil from the face, preventing acne and breakouts. Try incorporating it into your weekly skincare rituals to get glowing skin with no extra effort.
One of the reasons it is so popular is that it is simple, easy and quick to get a salon-like makeover from the comfort of your home!
How to Get Glowing Skin – Having glowing skin is everyone’s dream. But it all depends on many factors like daily skincare, environmental exposure and lifestyle choices. Read on how to take care of your skin and daily habits — everything from the comfort of your couch!
Home Remedies for Puffy Eyes – Under-eye puffiness is common for most of us. It is one of the common signs due to lack of sleep, tiredness or ageing. We recommend you try out these home remedies for puffy eyes and bid adieu to those under-eye bags.
Home Remedies for Acne Scars – Struggling to get rid of stubborn pimple marks and dark spots? Refer to the list of curated home remedies for acne scars to attain a clean, clear and flawless skin appearance without spending anything extra.