Spelling the word Sandalwood itself leaves you with an aromatic sense at least in your head. Just imagine, how would it feel to apply it to your skin!
This story is all about exploring the benefits of Sandalwood for skin and its many uses. Keep scrolling to grasp everything you need to know about applying Chandan for face.
What is Sandalwood?
Sandalwood is a category of wood that falls in the genus Santalum. These woods are aromatic, heavy, and binge in colour which are fine-grained for a variety of purposes. It is one of the most expensive woods in the world that retains its fragrance for decades.
4 Benefits of Sandalwood for Skin
Sandalwood oil is enriched with antioxidants that help stimulate the skin cell regenerative process, moisturise the skin, and improve its suppleness. Excited to know some of the interesting benefits of Sandalwood for skin? Here’s the entire list for you:
1. Fights Acne
Sandalwood has antimicrobial, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties that help zap the acne-causing bacteria on the surface of your face. Applying Sandalwood for acne also helps balance excess oil production preventing the development of blackheads, and pimples.
- How to Apply: Take 1 tbsp of Sandalwood powder in a small bowl. Add 1 tbsp of multani mitti into it and some rose water. Mix them all to form a face mask. Apply it evenly to your face. Let it sit for 15 minutes until dry. Use some water to go about in round circular motions to remove the face mask. Repeat the process once a week.
2. Treats Scars
Sandalwood has intense moisturising and nourishing abilities to fade out the appearance of scars, bruises or pimple marks. It also has mild exfoliating properties to get rid of tanning and lighten brown spots giving you an even skin complexion.
- How to Apply: Take 1 tbsp of gram flour in a small bowl. Add 1 tbsp of Sandalwood powder and a few drops of lemon juice into the mixture. Stir all three ingredients together and form a fine paste. Apply it evenly to your face and rinse it off after 10 minutes. Repeat this process once a week.
3. Prevents Wrinkles
Sandalwood oil is a powerhouse of antioxidants that helps fortify the moisture mantle of the skin, repair damaged skin cells, and improve skin elasticity. It protects your skin from free radical damage due to environmental stressors, prevents wrinkles and increases skin firmness.
- How to Apply: Take 1 tbsp of yoghurt in a small bowl. Add 1 tbsp of Sandalwood powder and mix well. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and rinse off with cool water. Repeat the process 1-2 times a week. This is an effective Sandalwood DIY face mask for wrinkles.
4. Soothes Skin Conditions
Sandalwood has a natural tendency to moisturise the skin, inhibit the process of damaged skin cell production, and soothe inflammation. It also has excellent skin-healing properties to cure common skin infections like eczema, sores, and wounds.
- How to Apply: Mix 1 tbsp of Sandalwood powder and 1 tbsp of rose water. Whip up a smooth wet paste and apply it on the affected areas. Leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse off with cool water. Repeat this process until you see desired results.
Organic Harvest Recommended Organic Sandalwood Infused Products for Skin
Organic Harvest offers you a curated collection of Sandalwood-based face care products. Here’s the list of products with incredible benefits of Chandan for face:
1. Radiance Face Elixir Serum
Organic Harvest Radiance Face Elixir Serum is a perfect blend of organic saffron oil, lotus oil, and other premium plant oils. This organic face serum helps nourish your skin, defy early signs of ageing and fade out dark spots & blemishes. The lightweight texture melts well into the skin giving you a youthful radiance.
Price: 1995 INR
Buy Link: Radiance Face Elixir Serum
2. Skin Lightening Face Wash
Organic Harvest’s Skin Lightening Face Wash is a rare combination of saffron powder, Sandalwood and other plant-derived ingredients. The goodness of saffron helps remove dark spots, dullness and brightens up your complexion. It has a gel-based consistency that helps deep cleanse your skin while leaving an instant glow.
Price: 195 INR
Buy Link: Skin Lightening Face Wash
3. Organic Harvest Youthful Glow Face Cream: Saffron, Oat Milk & Peach
Organic Harvest Youthful Glow Face Cream is made with the benefits of Sandalwood, saffron, peach and other plant-based ingredients. It is specially formulated to treat minor skin conditions like acne, eczema, and even out skin tone. Enriched with Sandalwood for skin, it works well to remove fine lines, lighten pigmentation and acne scars. The rich creamy consistency sinks well into the skin to provide intense hydration and a luminous face glow. Using this face cream in your daytime skincare routine protects against sun damage and delays skin ageing.
Price: 499 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Youthful Glow Face Cream: Saffron, Oat Milk & Peach
4. Organic Harvest Gentle Cleansing Bathing Bar: Sandalwood
Organic Harvest Sandalwood Bathing Bar gently cleanses the skin while retaining its natural moisture. Made with a combination of Sandalwood and other plant-based extracts, this organic soap provides essential nutrients to the skin, softens the skin, and reduces dryness. It rejuvenates your senses with the traditional Sandalwood aroma.
Price: 99 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Gentle Cleansing Bathing Bar: Sandalwood
What are the Different Types of Sandalwood and How to Choose The Right One for Skin?
There are basically 4 types of Sandalwood: white Sandalwood, brown Sandalwood, Australian Sandalwood, red Sandalwood, and coastal Sandalwood. Out of these, the beige-white Sandalwood (santalum album), popularly known as Indian Chandan is considered to be the best. Alternatively, rakta Chandan (red Sandalwood) is also widely used for its therapeutic value and beauty benefits.
Here are the key pointers to keep in mind to buy real Sandalwood for skin:
- Read out the label to ensure the powder is DNA-tested.
- The price of the product will tell you more about its authenticity because pure Sandalwood powder (especially white Chandan) is found to be very expensive.
- Out of different types of Sandalwood, it is best to buy rakta Chandan for face to treat acne, blemishes, tanning or skin dullness.
- Make a subtle sniff test to see if it has a sweet, creamy woody smell. If it doesn’t give a soothing effect then the powder is probably fake or impure.
How to Make Sandalwood Oil at Home?
Here’s the step-by-step process to make Sandalwood essential oil at home:
- Take a few of the Sandalwood chips (red or beige in colour). You can also use pure Sandalwood powder instead.
- Crush the chips using a mortar and pestle.
- Take one cup of olive oil in a small container. Add the crushed Sandalwood powder into it.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 7-10 days. Make sure to shake the mixture at regular intervals.
- Strain the mixture into a glass container.
- Sandalwood oil is ready for use.
- Pour it into a clean glass container. You can store the jar in a cool place away from direct sunlight.
Can we apply Sandalwood on face daily?
Yes, you can use Sandalwood oil for face on a daily basis to remove acne, bruises or scarring.
Does Sandalwood lighten skin?
Yes, Sandalwood face pack has excellent skin-lightening properties to remove skin discolouration and leave a naturally radiant effect.
Can I sleep with Sandalwood on my face?
Yes, you can leave Sandalwood on face overnight for maximised benefits.
Can I apply Sandalwood directly on skin?
Yes, you can make a smooth paste of Sandalwood powder and water. Apply it directly as a face pack to soothe inflammation, acne, and increase skin elasticity.
Does Sandalwood darken the skin?
No, Sandalwood has great skin-lightening agents that help brighten up natural skin tone.
What are the side effects of Sandalwood oil?
Pure Sandalwood essential oil has no side effects and is completely safe for regular use.
Which Sandalwood is best for face?
Red and white Sandalwood is considered to be best for the face. It helps deal with multiple skin problems including acne, eczema, scarring or uneven skin tone.
Does Sandalwood reduce melanin?
Yes, Sandalwood helps inhibit the process of melanin synthesis to heal wounds and lighten your skin colour.
Can Sandalwood remove blackheads?
Sandalwood helps control excess sebum production in the skin which helps prevent blackheads and clogging of pores to a large extent.
This was all about the many benefits of Sandalwood for face. Try and inculcate any of the Sandalwood uses for skin based on your concern and take your skincare game to the next level.
Also, do not miss trying out the Sandalwood-based skincare range at Organic Harvest. Watch this often to know feed on some interesting topics on skincare and haircare.
Home Remedies for Pimple Marks– Looking for natural ways to remove pimple marks? Try out these home remedies bid-adieu to stubborn pimple spots and scarring forever. Read on to know more.
Home Remedies for Uneven Skin Tone – Uneven skin tone is a sign of dull and dehydrated skin. We have jotted down some amazing natural remedies to get rid of dead skin cells and dullness making way for a healthy and gorgeous skin appearance. Try them out now!