Dandruff is that one pesky hair problem which everyone must have gone through at some point of time in life. We understand that you must have tried a variety of dandruff treatments at home from using high-end anti-dandruff hair care products to home remedies to remove dandruff.
If none of them worked best for you, we are here to extend our knowledge on some of the exclusive home remedies for dandruff right from the dermatologist’s desk.
Before we dig deep into how to remove dandruff, let us understand the causes of dandruff.
What Causes Dandruff?
Dandruff is one of the common hair conditions caused by the fungus called Malassezia. It is a harmful fungus that breaks down the oils in the scalp leading to the symptoms of white flakes, tingling sensation, and scaly scalp. It can be both contagious and serious resulting in problems like hair thinning and inhibited hair growth. Given below are some of the major causes of dandruff:
- Hair Care products with harsh chemicals
- Scalp itchiness and dryness
- Irregular shampooing of hair
- Constant exposure to environmental pollutants
- Stress and mental illness
- Skin Conditions: Psoriasis and Eczema
- Scalp sensitivity to products
- Specific food allergies
- Certain medications
How to Remove Dandruff – 14 Home Remedies for Dandruff
Every cause has a different solution and it’s true for dandruff as well. But some home remedies for dandruff do not harm but just help you reduce dandruff. You ask – how to cure dandruff permanently?
Worry, less here are the best ways to get rid of itchy scalp and dandruff:
Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil for hair has antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that fight the fungal effects on the scalp. Not to forget, it is very beneficial to get relief from certain skin conditions like Psoriasis and Eczema. Overall it is effective at reducing dandruff, scalp itchiness and dryness.
- How to Apply: Add 6-8 drops of tea tree oil to any of your regular hair oils (carrier oils). Warm the mixture of oils and use it as a hot-oil treatment. Rinse your hair after 30 minutes. Repeat the process twice a week to get rid of dandruff.
Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice
Lemon Juice contains Vitamin C and anti-microbial properties that eliminate excessive oil in the scalp that leads to flaky scalp or build-up. Coconut oil helps reduce scalp dryness which leads to a scaly scalp and dry skin.
- How to Apply: Add 1-2 tbsp of lemon juice to 4-5 tbsp of coconut oil. Stir it well and use a cotton ball to rub it on your scalp. Shampoo hair off your hair after 15-20 minutes. Repeat the process once a week for the best results.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar has a natural tendency to reduce the fungal growth on the scalp, balance scalp pH, and boost the shedding of dead skin cells on the head. It is the best home remedy for dandruff to get immediate results.
- How to Apply: Take a 1:2 ratio of apple cider vinegar and water respectively. Pour the mixture evenly into your scalp, before going for shampoo. Allow the mixture to sit for at least 15 minutes. Shampoo your hair thoroughly and do not miss using a conditioner. Repeat the process at most 2 times a week.
Aspirin tablets contain salicylic acid that is effective in reducing dandruff and related symptoms. It is also found in some of the anti-dandruff shampoos to cure scalp irritation and flakiness.
- How to Apply: Crush 2 aspirin tablets into powder form, and add them to your shampoo to wash your hair. Allow the lather to sit on your scalp for 1-2 minutes and then rinse off. Follow this twice a week when you shampoo your hair.
Baking soda absorbs excessive sebum on your scalp which avoids the build-up and fungal effects on your scalp. The antifungal properties of baking soda sweep off the white flakes on your head proving to be the best natural way to remove dandruff.
- How to Apply: Mix ½ tbsp of baking soda, and 1 tbsp of lemon juice in a small bowl. Massage it to your scalp for 2-3 minutes. Rinse it off with cool water. Repeat the process 1-2 times a week for desired results.
Aloe Vera for hair has anti-inflammatory and moisturising actions on your scalp to keep it hydrated and soothing. This natural succulent has enzymes and antioxidants to protect the skin on your scalp and hence help prevent dandruff over time.
- How to Apply: Apply an organic aloe vera gel to a clean scalp and let it sit for about 20-25 minutes. Use a mild clarifying shampoo to rinse off your hair. Repeat the process 2-3 times a week to permanently eliminate dandruff.
Onion juice for hair has anti-fungal and anti-specific properties to curb any kind of scalp infections or fungal effects. The vitamins and minerals cure scalp inflammation, irritation, and itchiness causing dandruff and flakes. It is one of the promising home remedies to get rid of dandruff.
- How to Apply: Peel and chop 2-3 onions and blend them to form onion pulp. Take a fine muslin cloth to strain the juice into a bowl. Apply it using a cotton ball evenly to your scalp. Leave it for 20 minutes and then rinse off with shampoo. Follow these steps twice a week.
Curd is an excellent ingredient to keep scalp infections at bay. It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties to not only fight dandruff but also nurture your scalp health keeping it from unwanted inflammation, tingling and irritation.
- How to Apply: Take 2 tbsp of curd in a bowl, and apply it evenly to your scalp. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and shampoo your hair. Repeat the process 2-3 times a week to get rid of dandruff.
Curry Leaves and Fenugreek Seeds
Curry leaves have anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties to cure minor scalp infections and remove dandruff. Fenugreek seeds have protein and nicotinic acid to fight dandruff and hair loss. The powerful combination of these 2 ingredients is a one-stop solution to help you get rid of dandruff and itchy scalp.
- How to Apply: Soak 6-7 curry leaves and 2-3 tbsp of fenugreek seeds separately in water for 20 minutes. Mix and blend them to make a smooth paste. Apply it evenly to your scalp and let it dry. Rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
Green Tea Bags
Green tea contains caffeine that helps protect your hair from dandruff, fungus, and bacteria. It nurtures your scalp health to prevent dryness, flakiness and itchiness.
- How to Apply: Brew 2 green tea bags in two cups of boiling water. Allow it to cool down to lukewarm. Pour it into your hair and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
Garlic and Olive Oil
Garlic has a fairly strong and pungent smell. But it is one of the effective ingredients with antifungal properties to help cure dandruff and scalp infections. Olive oil has a detoxifying effect on the scalp to fight dirt, bacteria, and build-up. So, unless you can bear the smell, the mixture of garlic and olive oil for dandruff has surprising results to reduce dandruff.
- How to Apply: Take 3-4 cloves of garlic and add them to 4-5 tbsp of olive oil. Warm it up for 1-2 minutes and let it cool down. Massage it thoroughly into your scalp. Shampoo your hair after 30 minutes. Follow this remedy once a week.
The yellow yolk has deep nourishing properties and is especially good for dry scalp. It also contains Biotin, a major vitamin that effectively treats dandruff.
- How to Apply: Crack the egg and take out the yolk into a bowl. Whisk it up a little to form an even consistency. Apply it generously to your scalp and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Shampoo your hair. Repeat the process twice a week to remove dandruff permanently.
Basil leaves, popularly known as Tulsi, have antibacterial properties to help you fight scalp infections, irritation and dandruff. Use this anti-dandruff tulsi hair mask remedy to fight dandruff naturally.
- How to Apply: Take 12-15 fresh tulsi leaves and wash them with water. Grind the leaves and mix them with some water to make a smooth paste. Apply it as a hair mask and leave it for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off the mask with cool water. Repeat the process 2-3 times a week to remove dandruff.
Neem has strong anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties that prevent the onset of dandruff. Using it consistently cleanses your scalp and helps you get relief from major scalp infections, inflammation, and itchiness.
- How to Apply: Take a bunch of neem leaves and grind them with 1 cup of water, to blend them smooth. Use a strainer to extract the juice into a bowl. Apply the juice to your scalp and leave it for 20-25 minutes. Rinse off your hair with cool water. Repeat the process 1-2 times a week to reduce dandruff.
How to Prevent Dandruff
If you’re just too lucky not to have encountered dandruff, remember the following tips to prevent dandruff in the future too. Here goes:
- Shampoo and conditioner your hair 2-3 times a week.
- Ensure to keep your scalp squeaky clean to get rid of the build-up or dirt causing dandruff.
- Swap your regular shampoo and conditioner with anti-dandruff hair care products in cold weather conditions.
- Cover your hair whenever possible to avoid harmful exposure of the scalp to pollutants.
- Use clean, vegan, and organic shampoo and conditioner free from harsh chemicals or toxin substances.
- Watch your sleep patterns and manage the stress that leads to dandruff and bad scalp health.
- Have a personal comb to brush your hair.
Organic Harvest Recommends Best Hair Oil, Shampoo & Conditioner for Dandruff
Organic Harvest brings you an exclusive range of dandruff including hair oil, shampoo and conditioner. Here’s the list of best anti-dandruff products you can try:
Organic Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Organic Harvest Hair Fall Control Shampoo is a 100% organic and vegan product made with plant-derived ingredients. This is the best anti-dandruff shampoo that reduces hair breakage, gently cleanses the scalp, improves blood circulation and makes hair thicker, healthier and stronger preventing dandruff and hair loss.
Price: 449 INR
Buy Link: Click Here
Organic Anti-Dandruff Conditioner
Organic Harvest’s Organic Anti Dandruff conditioner is made of plant-derived ingredients. This Organic conditioner is specially formulated with Apple Cider Vinegar and Tea Tree which have properties that balance your scalp and hair pH level. It also helps soothe inflammation and wards-off dandruff.
Price: 495 INR
Buy Link: Click Here
Hair Oil For Dandruff-Free Hair
Organic Harvest Hair Oil for Dandruff Free Hair is a 100% organic and vegan product made with plant-derived ingredients. It helps in reducing dandruff and strengthening hair follicles. It is enriched with the goodness of organic tea tree that helps moisturise and soothe the scalp, reducing itchiness and making it less prone to flaking.
Price: 449 INR
Buy Link: Click Here
Organic Anti Dandruff Hair Oil Tea Tree & Eucalyptus
Organic Harvest’s Organic Anti Dandruff Hair Oil is a unique combination of 10 oils, comes with the goodness of Tea tree & Eucalyptus and is specially designed for attacking fungal accumulation on the scalp. This oil has antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties which help clean the hair, keep your hair strong and reduce dandruff.
Price: 535 INR
Buy Link: Click Here
Tea Tree Essential Oil
Organic Harvest Tea Tree Essential Oil helps in eliminating dandruff, curing scalp dryness and skin itching and so on. Its antibacterial properties are great for treating scalp irritation and infections.
Price: 795 INR
Buy Link: Click Here
Organic Hair Spa Cream For Dandruff-Free Hair
Organic Harvest Hair Spa for Dandruff Free Hair is an organic and vegan product made with plant-derived ingredients. It helps in fighting dandruff, regulates oil secretion in the scalp and provides necessary moisture to your hair.
Price: 595 INR
Buy Link: Click Here
Is dandruff a fungal infection?
Yes, dandruff is a kind of scalp infection caused by the fungus called Malassezia.
Should I scratch my dandruff out?
Scratching is a natural reaction to dandruff. But if you scratch, unfortunately, it leads to itching and damaged hair and scalp health along with a visible increase in dandruff.
Which shampoo is best for dandruff?
With a lot of anti-dandruff shampoos, hair experts advise choosing an Organic shampoo with plant-based ingredients with no harmful chemicals like sulphates, silicon, paraben, mineral oil or animal ingredients.
Is oiling good for dandruff?
Yes, oiling is the primary treatment to take good care of your scalp and hair health. It ensures optimal scalp nourishment and prevents dryness that leads to dandruff and flakiness.
Does cold weather make dandruff worse?
Dandruff gets worse because of dry and cold air. The scalp becomes dry and flaky making it a favourable environment for dandruff to thrive.
Should I wash my hair every day if I have dandruff?
No, washing your hair daily might strip off the natural oils from your scalp making it dry and flaky. If you have acute dandruff, you can wash your hair 2-3 times a week.
Is dandruff a reason for hair fall?
Yes, excessive dandruff can eventually lead to severe hair fall issues. The itchiness and irritation in the scalp lead to injuring the hair follicles and hence make it prone to breakage.
We hope this piece becomes helpful to you in your dandruff treatment at home. Try one of these home remedies and it will definitely help you to get rid of dandruff and hair fall.
Watch this space often, for more of such interesting information to deal with common skin and hair problems.