Dark circles are not a serious health problem but at times it does make you feel awful, especially when the rest of your face is all clear-looking. It is one of the most common skin problems for both men and women.
The skin around the eyes is super sensitive and thinnest. Lack of blood circulation, sleep patterns, unmanageable stress or even genetics can be the top-most reasons for dark circles.
If you are here to discover how to get rid of dark circles at home, you have landed at the right place. But before we dig deep into some of the home remedies for dark circles, let’s find out the primary cause of dark circles.
What Causes Dark Circles Under the Eyes?
One of the root causes of dark circles is ageing and fatigue. As we age, our skin loses the ability to produce optimal amounts of collagen due to which the skin under the eyes becomes extremely weak and thin, making blood pool in the capillaries resulting in dark circles over time. Here are the prominent cause of dark circles under the eyes:
- Natural Process of Ageing
- Poor Sleep Schedule
- Iron Deficiency
- Excessive Sun Exposure
- Lifestyle Habits- Diet, Smoking, Stress
- Skin Dehydration
- Genetical Inheritance
- Sudden Weight Loss
- Skin Condition- Eczema
- Thin and Lighter Skin Texture
- Darker Skin Complexion
How to Remove Dark Circles – 7 Home Remedies for Dark Circles
You can not get rid of dark circles overnight. It takes time and consistent skincare. So, are you ready to indulge in some home remedies for dark circles? Here goes.
1. Cucumber to Treat Dark Circles
Cucumbers help reduce puffiness and soothe the under-eye area to stimulate blood circulation giving an overall hydrating effect to cure skin dryness and redness. It is one of the best home remedies for puffy eyes.
- How to Apply: Slice out rounded-shaped fresh cucumbers in a bowl and keep it in the refrigerator for 30-35 minutes. Place them on your eyes for 15-20 minutes. Do this once a day to get rid of dark circles over time.
2. Vitamin E and Almond Oil for Dark Circles
Vitamin E and Almond Oil combine to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties to reduce the appearance of wrinkles under the eyes and boost collagen synthesis in the skin to effectively help in reducing dark circles due to ageing.
- How to Apply: Mix equal amounts of almond oil and vitamin E oil. You can also use OTC Vitamin E capsules to squeeze out the oil. Apply the mixture twice a day and massage your under eyes (or do face yoga) to get rid of dark circles.
3. Ice Water to Reduce Dark Circles
Ice water is one of the best ways to give a hydration hit to your skin. It stimulates the blood circulation under the eyes and shrinks the dilated blood vessels to reduce swelling and the appearance of dark circles.
- How to Apply: Ice water works as a cold compress method to shrink down the dilated blood vessels. Wrap 1-2 ice cubes in a light cotton washcloth and apply it under your eyes in a gentle dabbing motion. Alternatively, you can dampen the cloth with ice water and keep it under your eyes for 10-15 minutes.
4. Cold Tea Bags to Remove Dark Circles
Tea bags contain caffeine with antioxidant properties to constrict the blood pools in the capillaries and pull off all the stress under your eyes. It boosts blood circulation under the eye area and is considered very effective to treat dark circles.
- How to Apply: Soak the caffeinated tea bags in warm water. Refrigerate them for 30-35 minutes. Now use it as a cold compress on your eyes for 10-15 minutes. Repeat the process 2-3 times a week to see desirable results.
5. Spinach and Coconut Oil for Dark Circles
Dark circles happen due to vitamin K and iron deficiency in the skin. Spinach can be used topically under the eyes combined with coconut oil for skin as it has anti-inflammatory properties to help you get rid of dark circles. The combination of these two ingredients works as a great eye pack for dark circles..
- How to Apply: Make a paste of spinach leaves. Add 1 tbsp of Coconut oil to it. Apply the mixture evenly under your eyes and let it dry for 15-20 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water.
6. Aloe Vera and Rose Water for Dark Circles
The hero ingredient, aloe vera, is one of the best topical remedies to prevent the appearance of dark circles while you’re getting older. The mixture of aloe vera for face and rose water goes very well to proffer hydration to the skin, reduce inflammation, and support mature skin.
- How to Apply: Mix 1 tbsp of freshly extracted aloe vera gel and 1 tbsp of rose water. Stir it well and allow it to refrigerate for 10 minutes. Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture under your eyes. Leave it overnight and rinse your face in the morning.
7. Tomato To Get Rid of Dark Circles
Tomato contains lycopene and other skin-nutritious compounds which aid in giving your a more supple and soft skin texture. It also has a natural tendency to avert early signs of ageing like wrinkles and hence aids in reducing the appearance of dark circles.
- How to Apply: Juice out the tomato pulp and take it into a bowl. Use a cotton ball to apply it under your eyes. Leave it for 15 minutes and rinse off with cool water. Make sure the juice doesn’t enter your eyes as it might cause irritation and redness.
Organic Harvest Recommended Best Products for Dark Circles
Organic Harvest recommends a premium collection of products that helps reduce dark circles and revives under-eye areas. Here’s the list below:
1. Natural Vita Rich Under Eye Cream
The Mom’s Co. Natural Vita Rich Under eye cream contains hydrating ingredients hyaluronic acid, chia seed oil, and niacinamide. It helps reduce the appearance of puffiness, lighten dark circles, and refresh your under-eye areas.
Price: 474 INR
Buy Link: Natural Vita Rich Under Eye Cream
2. Caffeine 1% Under Eye Cream Roller
Caffeine under eye roller is best for under-eye massage. The presence of 1% caffeine has antioxidants effect on the skin that helps relieve dark circles and brighten under eye areas. Packed with ceramides and peptides, helps de-puff your under-eye areas and lighten dark circles. The lightweight formula absorbs quickly into the skin, improves blood circulation and removes dullness.
Tips to Prevent Dark Circles
In case you are looking for some quick tips to save yourself from being the victim of stubborn dark circles under your eyes, follow these tips to prevent dark circles:
- Massage your under eyes daily with moisturiser or organic face oils.
- Never miss out on wearing sunscreen. It acts as a shield to prevent the harmful UV rays causing oxidative stress and dark circles.
- Indulge in yoga and meditation as they give a break from your erratic lifestyle and stress relief.
- Make sure you are sleeping well.
- You can use face moisturisers with hyaluronic acid, vitamin E, and/ or retinol.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from sun damage whenever you step outside.
FAQs on How to Reduce Dark Circles
Are dark circles permanent?
No, dark circles are usually not permanent. You can opt for home remedies or dark circle reducing cream to lighten the dark circles.
What deficiency causes dark circles?
The deficiency of Iron and Vitamin K is mainly responsible for dark circles.
Can Ice remove dark circles?
Yes, ice is really helpful to aggravate blood circulation and dilate the blood pool capillaries to cure dark circles.
Can coconut oil reduce dark circles?
Yes, Coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acid and skin-strengthening properties that help boost collagen under the eyes and remove the eyes’ dark circles.
Which oil is best for under the eyes?
Almond oil is considered to be the best oil to cure dark circles.
This was all about the home remedies for dark circles. Try out any of them in the list above and we promise you will see a noticeable reduction in dark circles.
If you’re just not that person who avoids the fuss of doing home remedies, you can try out our organic Under Eye Gel to get rid of dark circles, wrinkles and fine lines under the eyes.
Best Under Eye Cream for Dark Circles – Looking for the best under eye cream to get rid of dark circles? Checkout the list of best under eye creams handpicked by our beauty experts.