Struggling to get rid of dry and damaged hair? Fret not, we have jotted down a list of home remedies for dry hair that will not only nourish your hair but make your mane more manageable and healthier.
Before we jump into the deets, let’s quickly discuss some of the primary causes of dry hair.
What Causes Dry Hair?
Dry hair is caused by excessive use of heat tools, frequent chemical treatments (i.e. dyeing, bleaching), environmental factors, bad lifestyle habits, hormonal imbalance, seasonal changes, and severe medications. Without enough protein in your daily diet, there are chances your hair might become dry, rough, and weak. In a nutshell, there is a combination of one or more reasons that might lead to dry hair. Some people genetically have a dry hair type which needs some extra TLC!
What Are The Symptoms of Dry Hair?
Dry hair feels lifeless and rough to the touch. These stray locks are brittle in texture with split ends. You might also notice dry & itchy scalp causing flakiness and sometimes dandruff. These dry hair symptoms make your hair tedious to detangle and difficult to style!
How to Get Rid of Dry Hair – 5 Home Remedies for Dry Hair
Looking for home care remedies on —how to get rid of dry hair? We have got everything we need from mother nature. Given below are easy-to-do home remedies for dry and frizzy hair:
Curd and Honey
The combination of curd and honey is very effective to replenish damaged hair, refines texture and deeply moisturises the tresses. The biotin and zinc present in the curd nutrifies the dry and frizzy locks, while honey contains an adequate amount of minerals and antioxidants to keep your hair hydrated and nourished.
- How to Apply: Take 3-4 tbsp of curd based on your hair length. Add 2 tbsp of honey into it. Whisk it well to form a hair mask. Apply it in thick layers from roots to ends. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Rinse it off with cool water. Repeat the process twice a week.
Banana and Milk
Banana is rich in potassium, zinc and other hair-beneficial minerals that add required nutrition to your hair. It has antimicrobial properties to heal dry and itchy scalp conditions. The vitamins and protein in milk help nourish the hair follicles and keep your hair satiated for moisture.
- How to Apply: Mash 2 bananas into a thick paste. Add ½ cup of milk into it and mix well. Apply the mixture as a pre-shampoo treatment on dry hair. Leave it for 20-25 minutes and then shampoo your hair. Repeat the process 2-3 times a week.
Papaya and Aloe Vera
Papaya contains vital nutrients to regulate scalp sebum production and maintain a healthy scalp. It has intense hair-nourishing properties to transform dry strands into a smooth and healthy mane. Aloe Vera is enriched with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that help repair damaged hair, restore lost moisture, and seal split ends.
- How to Apply: Mash 1-2 slices of ripe papaya into a small bowl. Add 1-2 tbsp of pure aloe vera gel based on your hair length. Mix it well to form a smooth paste. Apply it as a hair mask and leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse it off with cool water. Repeat this process once a week for the best results.
Coconut Oil and Argan Oil
Argan oil contains biotin (vitamin B3) and protein that helps seal in moisture and fortifies scalp health. Coconut oil is rich in omega-6 fatty acids and protein to refine the dry hair texture and deep condition the tresses. The combination of these two ingredients is one of the effective home remedies for dry scalp.
- How to Apply: Take 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil. Add 1 tbsp of argan oil in it. Mix it well and warm up the mixture. Apply and massage it evenly from roots to ends. Leave it overnight and wash your hair in the morning. Repeat the process every 2 days until you see desired results.
Egg Yolk and Olive Oil
Egg yolk is a superfood to your hair and scalp. Loaded with proteins, vitamins A, E, and B and minerals it is specially used to moisturise dry strands. Olive oil is a touted solution to deal with dry and damaged hair. It contains antioxidants, vitamin A, and E that fortifies the natural hair keratin and restores strength.
- How to Apply: Mix 2-3 whole eggs and add 4-5 drops of olive oil into it. You can add a few drops of lemon juice to beat the “egg smell”. Whisk it well to form a hair mask. Apply it evenly from roots to ends. Cover your hair with a shower cap. After 20 minutes, shampoo and condition your hair as you normally do. Repeat the process once a week.
Organic Harvest Recommended Best Products for Dry Hair
Organic Harvest brings you a wide range of hair care products for dry hair. All of these products are 100% pure and organic made with a rare combination of plant-based ingredients. Here’s the extensive list of products to get rid of dry and damaged hair:
Organic Colour Protection Shampoo & Conditioner
Organic Harvest has specially curated a combo of Organic Colour Protection Shampoo & Conditioner enriched with organic hydrolyzed quinoa, aloe leaf extracts, and other plant-derived ingredients to offer natural protein to your hair for colour retention, and protection. It deep cleanses colour-treated hair, reduces split ends, and frizz while replenishing dry and damaged hair texture.
Price: 790 INR
Buy Link: Click Here
Organic Harvest Organic Moisturising Conditioner – Curly Hair
Organic Harvest Moisturising Conditioner for curly hair is packed with pure avocado oil and many other natural compounds. This hair conditioner helps in managing curly hair, tames frizzy hair-ends, and improves overall hair health. It also helps repair damaged texture, seals split ends and gives you that gorgeous and bouncy hair.
Price: 445 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Organic Moisturising Conditioner – Curly Hair
Organic Harvest Organic Moisturising Shampoo – Curly Hair
Organic Harvest Moisturising Shampoo for curly hair is packed with a nourishing blend of avocado oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil and organic aloe vera extracts. It is a sulphate-free and paraben-free formulation that cleanses your scalp and hair without making it dry. It helps reduce scalp itching, flakes and keeps your hair satiated for hydration. It is a great addition for dry hair types to thwart frizziness and make them manageable.
Price: 495 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Organic Moisturising Shampoo- Curly Hair
Organic Harvest Hair Oil For Hair Strengthening
Organic Harvest Hair Oil for Hair Strengthening is a berry induced organic hair oil made with the goddess of eucalyptus, lemon, and other plant-derived ingredients. It enhances scalp blood circulation while providing required nourishment and strength to the roots. This is a great oil to repair dry and damaged hair texture.
Price: 645 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Hair Oil For Hair Strengthening
Organic Harvest Conditioner For Dry & Damage Repair
Organic Harvest Conditioner for Dry and Damage Repair is a certified organic product made with plant derived ingredients. This gel-based organic hair conditioner is infused with keratin to deeply moisturise the dry and frizzy hair-ends. It helps in strengthening the roots and tresses by preventing breakage, heat damage, and frizz.
Price: 695 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Conditioner For Dry & Damage Repair
Organic Moisturising Hair Oil – Curly Hair
Organic Harvest Organic Moisturising Hair Oil is made with the rare combination of hydrating organic oils including avocado oil, argan oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, and 13 other natural oils. These natural oils contain vital minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants to repair damaged hair, keep the scalp hydrated, fight problems like dry hair, frizzy hair, and dull-looking hair.
Price: 595 INR
Buy Link: Organic Moisturising Hair Oil – Curly Hair
Organic Harvest Everyday Hair Oil: Coffee & Walnuts
Organic Harvest Everyday Hair Oil is enriched with the goodness of coffee, walnuts and other plant-derived extracts. The benefits of coffee for hair helps stimulate scalp blood circulation, strengthens roots, and refines hair texture. While the presence of walnuts makes the hair shaft stronger and smoother making it easier to detangle. Using it consistently, adds natural sheen to your tresses and keep it nourished.
Price: 595 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Everyday Hair Oil: Coffee & Walnuts
Organic Harvest Organic Argan Oil
Organic Argan Oil is extracted from the cold-pressed nuts of the Argan tree. Enriched with a unique combination of coconut oil and sunflower oil, this organic hair oil works as a natural hair conditioner to smooth out frizzy tresses and seal split-ends. The presence of vitamin E and fatty acids help deeply moisturise your hair to fight dryness and improve scalp health. Consistent usage of argan oil benefits the hair making it softer, shinier, and silkier.
Price: 699 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Organic Argan Oil
Organic Harvest Aloe Vera Gel With Organic Glycerine
Organic Harvest Aloe Vera gel is made with the combination of pure aloe vera leaf extracts and glycerine that helps lock in the natural moisture in the hair and restores its strength. The combination of pure glycerine and aloe vera stimulates the hair follicles, helps repair damaged locks, and smoothen out the tresses.
Price: 475 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Aloe Vera Gel With Organic Glycerine
Organic Harvest Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil: 100% Pure
Organic Harvest Coconut Oil is an unrefined and unbleached extra virgin organic coconut oil that helps intensely moisturise your hair and reduce hair breakage. It can be used as a hair mask or hot oil treatment giving you soft, smooth and healthier-looking hair. It helps strengthen the roots and nourish the hair, preventing hair loss due to dry and damaged hair.
Price: 395 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil: 100% Pure
Organic Harvest Organic Nourishment Shampoo
Organic Harvest’s Organic Nourishment Shampoo is enriched with Mango Butter and other plant derived ingredients. This organic hair shampoo helps deep-condition and seals in moisture making way for a gorgeous flowing mane. It clears out all the dirt and grime from the scalp without stripping off the natural oils leaving a nourishing effect on the scalp. It is the best shampoo for dry and frizzy hair types.
Price: 445 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Organic Nourishment Shampoo
Organic Harvest Organic Castor Oil
Organic Harvest’s Organic Castor Oil is popularly known as Arandi ka tel. This organic castor oil for hair acts as a natural moisturiser for dry tresses. It helps in deep conditioning the scalp and nourishes the hair follicles giving a smoother and silkier mane. It is best to use it as a pre-conditioning treatment for hair before shampooing.
Price: 345 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Organic Castor Oil
Tips to Prevent Dry Hair
Dealing with dry and damaged hair doesn’t just end with home remedies for dry hair. You need to go the extra mile and follow these tips for dry hair prevention curated below:
- Cover your hair whenever you step out. It helps protect your hair from the damage caused by dust particles and air pollutants resulting in dry and frizzy hair.
- Regular hair oiling benefits to deep condition your tresses and provide the required nutrition to your scalp.
- Avoid over-shampooing as it often strips off the natural sebum from your hair. You need to shampoo bi-weekly or a maximum of thrice a week if you are living in a hot & humid climate.
- Protect your hair colour from constant sun exposure so that it doesn’t fade out resulting in dry and rough hair.
- Never skimp on your hair conditioner after a good hair wash. They really make a lot of difference to your dry hair texture.
- Always precondition your mane with a head massage before shampooing.
- Swap your ordinary hair care arsenal with organic hair care products that are sulphate-free, paraben-free, mineral oil-free and cruelty-free.
- Book a professional salon hair spa sitting once in 20-25 days.
- Trim your hair every 3-4 months to get rid of split ends and dull hair.
- DIY hair care remedies pamper your hair and prevent dry hair problems forever!
- Hair experts advise not to overuse heat-styling tools. If you need to use it sometimes, use a heat-protectant serum before heat-styling.
- Use a wide-tooth wooden hair comb to avoid unwanted hair breakage or fall-out.
- Dry hair is prone to breakage and hence one must avoid making tight updos or ponytails.
How do you make dry hair moist again?
Opt for a regular head massage every alternate day to restore the strength and moisture of dry hair. You can also use leave-in conditioners on a daily basis to give your hair a hydration boost.
Why is my hair so frizzy and dry?
There could be several reasons for dry and frizzy hair including excessive environmental exposure, sun damage, lifestyle habits, diet, or even hormonal balance. Sometimes using the wrong shampoo & conditioner infused with harsh chemicals can result in dry & frizzy hair texture.
What foods are good for dry hair?
Protein and Biotin-rich foods including eggs, nuts, cereals, pulses, milk, chicken and veggies are good for your diet for dry hair.
What vitamin am I lacking if my hair is dry?
One of the pivotal reasons for dry, damaged and frizzy hair is vitamin B (biotin deficiency).
How can I hydrate my dry hair naturally?
Try taking cold showers, tower-wrapping your hair, air-drying instead of blow-drying, drinking water, and following a healthy diet. These are some of the natural ways to hydrate your mane.
Can stress cause dry hair?
Yes, anecdotal evidence claims stress is one of the common reasons that lead to the drying of hair resulting in hair loss.
Does dry hair cause hair loss?
If dry hair is left untreated without required hydration, nourishment or haircare rituals, it can result in severe hair loss.
Dry and frizzy hair is one of the most common hair problems. These home remedies for dry hair can be your ultimate solution. Also, do not miss out on following these tips for dry hair, be on a mission to transform your dry and frizzy hair into a gorgeously flowing mane.
Watch this space often to explore more of the home remedies for hair care and the best product recommendations.