Struggling with extremely dry and dehydrated skin? We understand your pain. In this blog, we bring you a curated list of home remedies for dry skin which require not more than 2-3 pantry ingredients to revitalise your skin. These dry skin remedies are simple, quick, and easy to follow.
But before we get started, let’s understand the common causes of dry skin and what dry skin feels like.
What Causes Dry Skin?
The most basic reason for dry skin is the loss of moisture content from the outermost layers of your skin. There are several external factors such as changing weather conditions (too hot/cold), ageing, nutritional deficiency (vitamin B12 and iron), constant exposure to the sun, environmental damage, hot water showers, harsh skincare products, and minor skin conditions that cause dry skin.
How To Get Rid Of Dry Skin – 5 Home Remedies For Dry Skin
There could be many reasons for dry skin. Try and incorporate any of your favourite natural remedies for dry skin treatment at home given below:
1. Curd And Honey
Curd and honey have excellent hydrating and nourishing properties to fight dryness, soften the skin texture and even out skin tone. It is one of the best homemade face packs for dry skin to help reduce itchiness, soothe inflammation, and calm down irritated skin.
- How To Apply: Mix 1 tbsp of curd and honey each into a small bowl. Apply it evenly across your face. Allow it to stay for 15 minutes. Rinse it off with cool water. Repeat this process twice a week for the best results.
2. Coffee And Milk Cream
Coffee is one of the naturally rich sources of antioxidants and minerals which helps remove dead skin cells and protects your skin against free radical damage. It helps retain moisture for long hours, and cures dryness and flakiness. The richness of milk cream provides the required nourishment and care giving you a soft, supple and smooth skin texture.
- How To Apply: Take 1 tbsp of fresh milk cream. Add ½ tbsp of coffee powder to it. Smear the mixture across your face and massage it for 2 minutes. Leave it on for 10 minutes. Wash your face with a gentle cleanser. Repeat the process once a week for best results.
3. Aloe Vera Gel And Coconut Oil
With deep-conditioning and hydrating qualities, aloe vera gel for skin is one of the touted solutions to cure dryness. Coconut oil has excellent moisturising and skin healing properties to replenish damaged texture, revitalise the skin and keep it nourished.
- How To Apply: Mix 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel and cold pressed coconut oil in a small bowl. Use the mixture to massage it into your skin for 2-3 minutes. Allow it to dry for 10 minutes. Use a moist-cotton cloth to wipe off the excess. Repeat this process every day before bedtime.
4. Raw Milk, Honey And Oatmeal
Oats have great soothing and moisturising benefits to heal dry and irritated skin. Honey also has hydrating and cooling qualities to revive dehydrated skin and replenish damaged skin texture. Raw milk works as a natural moisturiser for the skin to promote cell turnover and add a radiant glow.
- How To Apply: Take 1 tbsp of raw milk and honey into a small bowl. Add ½ tbsp of crushed oats to the mixture. Mix all three ingredients well. Apply it evenly to your dry skin areas. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with cool water. Repeat the process twice a week until you see visible improvement.
5. Banana, Almond Oil And Honey
Banana is enriched with skin-loving minerals like potassium and sulphur which help improve dry skin issues and repair damage caused by pollutants. The combination of almond oil and honey transform dry and dehydrated skin making it soft, smooth and even. This can be used as one of the best home remedies for dry skin on the legs as well.
- How To Apply: Mash 1 ripe banana into a small bowl. Add 1 tbsp each of honey and almond oil into it. Mix it well to form a fine paste. Apply it evenly across dry skin areas. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Wash it off with a mild cleanser. Repeat this process once or twice a week.
How To Know If You Have Dry Skin?
To know if you have a dry skin type, simply wash your face with a gentle cleanser. Allow your skin to stay bare without applying anything such as moisturiser or face serum. After 2-3 hours, check up on your skin. If it feels itchy or parched when you change facial expressions you’re likely to have dry skin.
Here are some of the common dry skin symptoms to quickly determine whether you have a dry skin type or not:
- Dull And Dehydrated Skin Appearance
- Uneven Dark Patches/Skin Tone
- Scaly Skin Texture
- Feels Itchy and Tight
- Rough to Touch
- Visible Appearance of Fine Lines or Wrinkles
6 Best Products To Get Rid Of Dry Skin
We have jotted down some of the best product recommendations to take care of dry skin treatment at home. Read along to pick your favourite one to add to your natural skincare routine for dry skin:
1. Organic Harvest Kumkumadi Radiance Facial Kit: Saffron, Oat Milk & Sandalwood
Organic Harvest Kumkumadi Radiance Facial Kit With Saffron, Oat Milk & Sandalwood is a skin moisturising and brightening kit that has 5 skincare steps – cleanser, face scrub, massage cream, massage gel, and face mask. This organic facial kit reduces fine lines and softens texture giving you a youthful and even-toned complexion. This deep-nourishing and the skin-brightening facial kit is made for both women and men.
Price: 295 INR
Buy Link: Kumkumadi Radiance Facial Kit
2. Organic Harvest Aloe Vera Gel With Organic Glycerine
Organic Harvest Aloe Vera Gel is a great concoction of pure aloe vera extracts, glycerine, coconut oil, and castor oil. This organic aloe vera gel is 100% natural and soothing for the skin and fights dryness, irritation and minor skin infections. Packed with the richness of glycerine, it provides much-needed moisture to repair dry and damaged skin texture. If you’re looking for a pure aloe vera gel, this one is your best buy.
Price: 475 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Aloe vera Gel With Organic Glycerine
3. MyGlamm 3% Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum Enriched With Kakadu Plum & Marine Algae
MyGlamm 3% Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum Enriched With Kakadu Plum & Marine Algae is a concentrated hydrating serum for dry skin. Infused with soothing and moisturising ingredients it helps quench the thirst of dry and dehydrated skin, reduces inflammation and evens out patchy skin tone. Using it on a regular basis retains moisture for long hours and keeps your skin nourished and happy!
Price: 699 INR
Buy Link: MyGlamm 3% Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum
4. The Mom’s Co. Natural Ceramide Face Cream
The Mom’s Co’s Natural Ceramide Face Cream is enriched with natural ceramides, rice water, cica and hyaluronic acid. It is a long-lasting moisturising face cream that helps rebuild dry and damaged skin texture, adds suppleness, and enhances skin tone. The combination of these ingredients improves skin elasticity, soothes itchiness, and removes flakes leaving you with healthy-looking, soft and nourishing skin.
Price: 447 INR
Buy Link: The Mom’s Co. Natural Ceramide Face Cream
5. St.Botanica Moroccan Argan Oil Creamy Face Wash
St.Botanica’s Moroccan Argan Oil Creamy Face Wash has great moisturising and skin-restorative properties to heal dry and itchy skin types. It has a rich creamy consistency to fight impurities and toxins causing premature ageing and dullness. The combination of pure botanical extracts argan oil, hyaluronic acid and aloe vera nourishes and hydrates the skin while keeping it fresh and clear.
Price: 399 INR
Buy Link: St.Botanica Moroccan Argan Oil Creamy Face Wash
6. St.Botanica Anti Oxidant (24 Active Oils) Professional Face Oil
St.Botanica Anti Oxidant (24 Active Oils) Professional Face Oil is enriched with necessary vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It helps nurture the natural moisture barrier of the skin, increases moisture retention capacity, and treat minor skin imperfections. The combination of natural oils like jojoba oil, rosehip oil, olive oil and more helps effectively hydrate and add a luminous glow to your face. This beauty oil is a great addition to your skincare routine to rejuvenate dull and damage skin tissues, deeply nourish your skin, and delay ageing.
Price: 699 INR
Buy Link: St.Botanica Anti Oxidant (24 Active Oils) Professional Face Oil
Some Skincare Tips For Dry Skin
Apart from using these dry skin remedies, here are some of the best skincare tips for you to pamper dry skin at home:
- Make sure to follow a specific skincare routine to take optimal care of your skin and keep it satiated for moisturisation throughout the day.
- Apply the best serum for dry skin which contains hyaluronic acid, retinol or niacinamide. Serums rich in ceramides and peptides heal dry and flaky skin.
- Maintain a diet rich in vitamins, minerals and water content to offer required nutrients to your skin and promote overall skin health.
- Keep yourself hydrated inside out by drinking enough water, and consuming fruits rich in water content including green veggies.
- Cover your face whenever you step out to protect your skin against the dehydrating effects of sun and environmental stressors.
- Indulge yourself in natural face packs for dry skin to strengthen the natural skin’s barrier and prevent moisture loss.
- Apply sheet masks to shower some extra love and hydration to dry skin. Make sure to massage the remaining serum in the sheet mask into your skin.
- Use clean, natural, and chemical-free products which do not contain any hazardous elements like parabens, sulphate, mineral oils, or animal fats.
- Make sure to use a gentle, soap-free, and cream-based face cleanser. Wash your face, not more than twice a day as it might worsen the dry skin condition.
What deficiency causes dry skin?
Deficiency of nutrients like vitamins A, D, E and iron, zinc can lead to skin dryness and flakes.
What is the main cause of dry skin?
One of the main causes of dry skin is water loss from the skin as your skin loses its capacity to retain moisture. Certain factors like too hot or dry weather, ageing and dehydration due to sun exposure can result in dry skin problems.
Which food is best for dry skin?
Foods that are rich in vitamins E, A, iron and water content such as egg yolk, avocado, sweet potato, dairy products, nuts and spinach are highly recommended for dry skin.
What can I drink for dry skin?
If you have dry skin, drinking milk or green tea works best to keep your skin hydrated and nourished within.
Is aloe vera good for dry skin?
Yes, aloe vera has a natural tendency to hydrate your skin and soothe itchiness and irritation making it one of the best home remedies for dry face.
So, next time you wonder — how to get rid of dry skin naturally? Try out one of these home remedies for dry skin. They are safe, gentle and incredibly effective to fight skin dryness and its symptoms.
How to Know My Skin Type – Confused about what your skin type is? Here’s a short guide for you with two simple and quick ways to determine your skin type.
Benefits of Shea Butter for Skin – Shea butter is a one-stop solution to deal with dry and sensitive skin. Besides, it also helps take care of several skin woes. Here’s why you should start using shea butter in your skincare routine.
Benefits of Coconut Oil on Skin Every Day – Coconut oil is one of the traditional natural remedies when it comes to multiple beauty benefits. This piece focuses on the pivotal benefits of coconut oil in your daily skincare rituals. Click to learn more.