Face serums have become one of the important products in your skincare vanity. And why not? Applying serum on your face protects your skin from external elements like dust, pollutants, and sunlight to retain a youthful glow and healthy skin. The catch of the matter is, most of the face serums in the market are packed with chemicals and artificial ingredients.
But what if we use a natural serum for face at home? Indulge yourself in homemade serum for face which is au-naturel, easy to DIY, and most importantly super hydrating — all of it at the cost of nothing.
Sounds great, isn’t it?
Read on to discover some of the interesting recipes to DIY homemade face serums for glowing skin.
Benefits Of Using A Serum For Face
A homemade serum for face adds a protective layer to your face, prevents free radical damage, and keeps your skin hydrated while leaving a dazzling face glow. Here’s more to the face serum benefits for you:
- Great anti-ageing elixir to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles & ageing spots
- Keeps your skin moisturised
- Adds a rosy glow to your face
- Softens skin texture and improves elasticity
- Increases collagen production
- Regulates sebum production and shrinks enlarged pores
- Reduces patchy skin tone
- Cures skin dryness
- Offers targeted skincare solutions to treat acne, dull skin, and blemishes
4 DIY Face Serum for Different Face Concerns
Are you ready to DIY face serum at home with a handful of natural ingredients? Follow up with the simple steps below to make face serum at home:
1. Homemade Serum For Dry Skin
A DIY face serum with aloe vera gel, honey and coconut oil works exceptionally well to repair dull & dry skin. Aloe vera gel is a natural moisturiser to keep your skin hydrated, protects against sun damage and lightens scars. Coconut oil helps deep condition and repair damaged skin tissues while giving a natural glowing effect. Honey acts as a humectant to prevent moisture loss and replenish scaly skin texture.
What You Need
Aloe Vera Gel, Coconut Oil, and Honey
How to Apply
- Mix 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel and 1 tbsp of extra virgin coconut oil into a small bottle-like container.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey to the mixture.
- Voila! The best serum for dry skin is ready.
- Apply 3-4 drops of this serum to your face & neck areas twice a day.
2. Homemade Serum For Oily Acne-Prone Skin
To make the best serum for oily skin at home, you need apple cider vinegar, honey and tea tree oil. Tea tree oil has antimicrobial properties to remove skin buildup and combat acne-causing bacteria. Apple cider vinegar has astringent properties to soak up excess oil and tighten enlarged pores, while honey ensures a balance in the moisture levels in your skin. Alternatively, you can add 2 tbsp of tomato juice in place of apple cider vinegar (ACV) to make a vitamin C serum at home.
What You Need
Apple Cider Vinegar, Tea Tree Oil, and Honey
How to Apply
- Take 1/2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 2 tbsp of honey into a small bowl.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of tea tree essential oil to the mixture.
- Massage 3-4 drops of this serum on your face during your AM & PM skincare routine.
- You will notice impressive results within 1-2 weeks of its regular usage.
3. Homemade Serum For Combination Skin
To make a DIY serum for a combination skin type, you will need lavender oil, rose water, and glycerine. Glycerine is a great ingredient to moisturise dry areas without making your skin appear greasy, while lavender oil helps reduce skin discolouration, fights acne, and prevents early signs of ageing. Rose water soothes inflammation and redness. This is one of the best anti-ageing serums for everyday use.
What You Need
Rose Water, Lavender Oil and Glycerine
How to Apply
- Take 1 tbsp of lavender essential oil in a small container.
- Add 2 tbsp each of glycerine and rose water into it.
- Mix well to form a DIY face serum for combination skin.
- Apply and massage 2-3 drops of this face serum twice a day.
4. Homemade Serum For Sensitive Skin
For sensitive skin, you will require raw milk, honey, and rose water. Raw milk tones and brightens your skin by providing the required nourishment. Rose water calms inflamed skin and treats mild infections. Honey acts as a natural cleanser for sensitive skin to give a rejuvenating feel. This is a great homemade night serum for glowing skin.
What You Need
Raw Milk, Honey, And Rose Water
How to Apply
- Mix 3 tbsp of raw milk and 2 tbsp of honey in a glass-like container
- Add 1 tbsp of rose water into the mixture.
- Mix them all together to make a DIY serum for sensitive skin.
- Take 3-4 drops of serum and gently massage it to your skin.
- Use it twice a day to get desired results.
Do’s and Don’t – After and Before Using A Serum For Face
Using homemade face serum for glowing skin is great. But for effective results, one should know how and when to apply. Given below are some of the points to remember before and after using a serum for face:
- After applying the face serum, top it off with a face moisturiser and sunscreen to seal in the moisture and protect your skin.
- Pat your serum gently on the skin until it gets absorbed well into the skin for maximum benefits.
- Opt for a natural homemade serum for face instead of chemical-infused commercial face serums.
- Make sure your skin is squeaky clean before applying the serum to your face.
- Do not rub a serum on your face instead pat it on.
- Never wash your face after applying the serum.
- Never use retinol and vitamin C serum together at the same time.
What are the best ingredients for serum on face?
Some of the ingredients with the goodness of vitamins A, C, and E, hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, and antioxidants are great for serum on the face.
Are homemade serums effective?
Yes, DIY face serum with aloe vera gel, honey, and coconut oil offers impressive results to moisturise your skin, treat acne, and prevent premature ageing signs on the face.
Can I apply the serum on my face every day?
Yes, one should apply the DIY serum on the face every day in your daily AM and PM skincare routine to keep your skin hydrated, plump and firm.
Is face serum really necessary?
Face serum keeps your skin hydrated and glowing while offering targeted skincare solutions to cure acne, dryness, pigmentation and premature ageing. It also helps protect your skin against sun damage and prevents collagen loss.
Can I use 3 serums together?
Well, it quite depends on the ingredients and formula of the face serum. You can use 2-3 serums together containing hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, and ceramides. Do not prefer to layer multiple serums with retinol, vitamin C or exfoliants like AHAs & BHAs at the same time.
How long should I leave the serum on my face?
You can massage the serum well into your skin for 1-2 minutes until your skin absorbs it thoroughly, before going in with a moisturiser. A good face serum doesn’t feel greasy or tacky after application.
DIY face serums work great for your skin offering multiple benefits to moisturise, protect and heal skin imperfections. The best part of these homemade serums for face is that they are made of naturally sourced ingredients causing zero side effects on your skin.
So, what are you waiting for? Get started making natural serum for face at home and get glowing!
Benefits of Cleansing Milk – Cleansing milk is used to get rid of dirt, makeup or skin build-up accumulated over the day. It is the first step of your skincare routine to cleanse your face without making it dull or dry. Learn how to use cleansing milk for the face step-by-step.
Home Remedies for Whiteheads – Tired of whiteheads? You only need a few of the natural ingredients from your pantry to get an instant home remedy for whiteheads. Try these home remedies for whiteheads and say goodbye to future breakouts and pimples!
How to Remove Pimples – Looking for natural ways to remove pimples at home? These natural remedies are all you need to do to get rid of acne without paying a visit to your dermat. Sounds exciting? Click to read more.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil for Skin – Tea tree oil has been a touted solution to fight acne, pimples, dark spots and pigmentation. Well, the benefits of tea tree oil do not end here. Read along to find out how tea tree oil can level up your overall skin health.
Best Face Serum for Glowing Skin – Face serums are basically derived to add an extra layer of nourishment with active ingredients to tackle specific skin conditions. Besides this, serums help protect your skin from free radical damage and prevent ageing. Check out the list of best serums for glowing skin which offers everything your skin needs.