Who doesn’t love glowing, spotless skin? But little do we know the way to get an even skin tone requires everyday skincare at home topped by some extra TLC. Instead of spending huge bucks on concealers and foundation to camouflage, go an extra mile by indulging in some home remedies for uneven skin tone.
Read on to know more about the causes, remedies, tips — how to get even skin tone?
- What Causes Uneven Skin Tone
- What Are Some Home Remedies for Uneven Skin Tone?
- Best Products for Uneven Skin Tone
- What Are The Ways to Prevent Uneven Skin Tone
- Lifestyle Tips for Uneven Skin Tone
What Causes Uneven Skin Tone?
Uneven skin tone is a result of hyperpigmentation that is caused due to excess melanin production. Some of the prevalent causes of uneven skin tone are hereditary, lifestyle habits, acne scarring, constant sun exposure, and hormonal imbalance.
What are the Home Remedies for Uneven Skin Tone
If you’re up to trying home remedies for even skin tone, look no further. Here’s the list of curated remedies for you to attain a flawless looking gorgeous-skin:
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera contains a compound called Aloin which helps reduce the melanin pigment in the skin and helps you get rid of uneven skin tone. It also has a natural tendency to hydrate the skin and protect it against oxidative stress from environmental stressors causing uneven patches and dull skin texture. It is one of the popular uneven skin tone products to attain glowing skin.
- How to Apply: Take 1 tbsp of pure aloe vera gel for skin. Add 2-3 drops of lemon juice and apply the mixture to your face. Let it dry for 15 minutes. Rinse off your face with cool water. Repeat the process every alternate day until you see desired results.
2. Gram Flour and Curd
This is one of the proven home remedies to treat acne spots and pigmentation. Gram flour has a natural skin-lightening effect while curd is enriched with antioxidants and vitamin C to ward off the dead skin cells.
- How to Apply: Take 1 tbsp of gram flour into a small bowl. Add 1 tbsp of curd into it. Whisk it well to form a smooth paste. Apply it evenly to your face. After 20 minutes, wash it off with lukewarm water. Repeat the process twice a week to see wonderful results.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that are very effective to fight dead skin cells, discolouration, and dark spots. Not only does it help even out skin tone, but regulates sebum levels which helps prevent the chances of acne or pimples that is the root cause of stubborn blemishes.
- How to Apply: Take 1 tbsp of any beauty oil for your face. Add 4-5 drops of tea tree essential oil for skin. Apply and massage the mixture evenly to your face every day before bedtime. Wash your face in the morning. You will see noticeable results within 3-4 weeks of consistent use.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Salicylic acid works best to get rid of dark patches, acne scarring and spots. Apple Cider Vinegar is a naturally rich source of salicylic acid which exfoliates the epidermis layers of the skin, removes dead skin cells, and lightens pigmentation.
- How to Apply: Take 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Add 2 tbsp of distilled water to it. Take a moist cotton pad to apply the diluted ACV as a face toner. Allow it to dry for 20-25 minutes. Rinse it off with cool water. Use the mixture every alternate day in your AM skincare routine to get rid of dark spots.
5. Turmeric and Honey
Turmeric is a touted traditional medicine for most skin and health problems. It has excellent skin-lightening properties to help you get rid of stubborn pimple marks, dark spots and hyperpigmentation. Honey is a skin-soothing ingredient to give relief from inflammation, redness and enhances blood circulation. The dual power of these two work very well to give a flawless and spotless skin complexion.
- How to Apply: Take ½ tbsp of turmeric powder in a small bowl. Add 2 tbsp of honey to it. Mix well into a smooth face mask. Apply it all over the face and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Wash it off with cool water. Repeat the process thrice a week for best results.
6. Coconut Oil
Virgin coconut oil has intense skin moisturising and brightening abilities to deliver even-toned skin. Massaging it into the face helps dilate the blood vessels, remove damaged skin cells, and promote the process of collagen synthesis. These benefits of coconut oil for skin make it one of the superstars to tackle premature ageing spots, scars, patchy skin texture, and even reduce stretch marks.
- How to Apply: Take 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil in a heating pan. Warm it up slightly and add it to a bowl. Apply it over the face and follow it with some massage steps for 3-4 minutes (upwards and outwards only). Leave it for 25-30 minutes. Take a damp face towel and wipe off your face. You can also leave it overnight and wash your face in the morning for enhanced effect.
7. Neem Leaves and Cucumber
Neem has natural antibacterial and fungicidal properties that are effective to cure hyperpigmentation due to common skin infections like melasma, pimples, skin lesions, and liver spots. Cucumber contains folic acid, vitamin C and other antioxidants that help soothe skin inflammation and redness by promoting skin cell turnover.
- How to Apply: Grate a few slices of cucumber in the grinder. Add 1 tbsp of neem leaves paste (you can also add neem oil instead of neem paste). Add a few drops of lemon juice into the mixture to form a face pack. Apply it evenly to your face and let it sit for 25 minutes until dry. Wash it off with cool water. Repeat the process thrice a week for effective results.
Organic Harvest Recommended – Best Products for Uneven Skin Tone
Organic Harvest brings you a wide range of skincare products to get rid of uneven skin tone. Here’s the list of organic uneven skin tone products you would love to use:
1. Organic Aloe Vera Gel With Turmeric Extract
Organic Harvest Aloe Vera Gel is made with pure aloe vera leaf extracts, organic glycerine, and turmeric extracts, that is effective to get rid of dark spots, blemishes, and stubborn acne scars. Enriched with natural vitamins, it helps you attain clear, radiant and softer skin.
Price: 495 INR
Buy Link: Aloe Vera Gel With Turmeric Extract
2. Face Wash – 6 In 1 (Sf)
Organic Harvest 6-in-1 Face Wash for Women’s Daily Use delivers 6 different skin benefits including oil control, cleansing, lightening, brightening, rejuvenating, nourishing and moisturising. It has scrub-like small exfoliating particles to remove all the dead skin cells while clearing out acne spots and dark patches.
Price: 450 INR
Buy Link: Face Wash – 6 In 1 (SF)– Pack of 2
3. Organic Aloe Vera Gel With Organic Glycerine
Organic Harvest Aloe Vera Gel is made with pure aloe vera leaf extracts and glycerine helps reduce acne marks, pigmentation and remove damaged skin cells. It can also be used to remove uneven skin tone on the body. Enriched with coconut oil and castor oil, it is best suited for sensitive skin types, making way for flawless skin complexion.
Price: 475 INR
Buy Link: Aloe Vera Gel With Organic Glycerine
4. Organic Harvest Brightening Face Cleanser: Kakadu Plum, Acai Berry & Rice Water
Organic Harvest Brightening Face Cleanser is enriched with the power of acai berry, kakadu plum, and rice water. It helps mildly exfoliate the clogged pores and dead skin cells without stripping the natural oils from the face. Loaded with the goodness of vitamin C, it helps tackle uneven skin tone, prevent acne, and protect against UV damage.
Price: 495 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Brightening Face Cleanser: Kakadu Plum, Acai Berry & Rice Water
5. Organic Harvest Kumkumadi Radiance Facial Kit: Saffron, Oat Milk & Sandalwood
Organic Harvest Kumkumadi Radiance Facial Kit is a combination of premium-quality organic extracts like saffron, sandalwood, oatmilk, and bakuchiol. This organic facial kit has 5-step skincare products including cleanser, scrub, massage cream, massage gel and face mask. It helps lighten pigmentation, fade out acne scars, and enhance overall skin appearance. This is one of the best facial kits to improve skin’s texture, keep it healthy and brighter-looking.
Price: 295 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Kumkumadi Radiance Facial Kit: Saffron, Oat Milk & Sandalwood
6. Pearl-skin Whitening
Organic Harvest Pearl Skin Whitening Facial Kit is the best organic facial kit for uneven skin tone. Made with plant-derived ingredients it can be your go-to option to deliver a salon-like makeover at the comfort of your home in 30 minutes. It helps lightens skin tone and improves skin’s elasticity while adding a natural radiance on the face.
Price: 245 INR
Buy Link: Pearl-Skin Whitening
7. Organic Aloe Vera Gel With Neem & Cucumber Extract
Organic Harvest Aloe Vera Gel is enriched with neem and cucumber extracts to reduce skin blemishes, add glow and soothe skin infections. Laden with coconut oil, castor oil, and other natural elements, it is a one-stop-shop solution to achieve a clear-looking spotless skin complexion.
Price: 245 INR
Buy Link: Aloe Vera Gel With Neem & Cucumber Extract
8. Organic Aloe Vera Gel With Saffron Extract
Organic Harvest Aloe Vera Gel With Saffron is made with pure aloe vera leaf extracts, coconut oil, and saffron extracts. It is one of the best uneven skin tone products that helps reduce the appearance of dark spots, pimple marks, and skin discolouration. It works excellent to revitalise dull skin texture and brighten up your skin tone.
Price: 245 INR
Buy Link: Aloe Vera Gel With Saffron Extract
9. Skin Lightening Face Wash
Organic Harvest Skin Lightening Face Wash is packed with a combination of organic saffron and sandalwood. This organic face wash for uneven skin tone purifies the pores and lightens skin complexion. It comes in a gel-based consistency to gently cleanse the skin and reduce the tan while retaining the natural barrier of the skin.
Price: 195 INR
Buy Link: Skin Lightening Face Wash
10. Age Reversal Cream
Organic Harvest Age Reversal Cream is derived from organic plant-based ingredients to reduce the appearance of age spots, fine lines, and wrinkles. It helps boost skin elasticity and elevates collagen levels giving you smooth, supple and glowing skin. Regular use of this face cream has great anti-ageing benefits too.
Price: 1195 INR
Buy Link: Age Reversal Cream
11. Embellish Skin Lightening Cream
Organic Harvest Embellish Skin Lightening Cream is an excellent cream to help you get rid of dull, damaged and blemished skin. The power of white mulberry and organic daisy flower in the cream makes it effective to give you a lighter and even complexion. This non-greasy texture of the cream makes it suitable for all skin types.
Price: 1295 INR
Buy Link: Embellish Skin Lightening Cream
12. Anti Tan Scrub
Organic Harvest Anti Tan Scrub is specially formulated with tan removal ingredients like liquid shea butter, olive oil, clove, and camphor essential oils. This organic anti-tan scrub exfoliates the skin to remove tan, uplifts your skin and gives it an even tone. The anti-inflammatory properties of this face scrub remove skin discolouration caused by minor skin infections.
Price: 595 INR
Buy Link: Anti Tan Scrub
13. Organic Harvest Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
Organic Harvest Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil is an unrefined and unbleached product to tackle uneven skin tone. It has great antibacterial and antifungal properties to fade the appearance of acne scars and fade out dark spots. It also helps protect your skin against the pollutants and toxins preventing dullness and patchy skin tone. You can use home remedies for uneven skin tone to get rid of blemishes, ageing spots, and pimple marks.
Price: 3955 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
Lifestyle Tips for Uneven Skin Tone
The dream of glowing skin tone doesn’t end at home remedies. Here are the lifestyle choices you need to make to achieve an even skin tone naturally at home:
Sunscreen is Must!
Sunscreen that comes with a broad spectrum UV protection formula acts as a shield to protect the skin against oxidative stress and tanning caused by the release of melanin pigment. A good sunscreen is made with blue light technology and a minimum SPF of 30+ to prevent several versions of hyperpigmentation resulting in uneven skin tone. Make sure to re-apply it every 3-4 hours in the day.
Exfoliate, Exfoliate, Exfoliate!
The most critical tip to prevent uneven skin tone is timely skin exfoliation. The process of exfoliation removes dead skin cells from the outer layer of the skin and unclogs pores to give you a new layer of skin. Try and incorporate AHAs and BHAs in your skincare regime that helps cleanse your pores and prevents dark spots.
Indulge in Clean Diet
Diet is a significant part of your skin health. Avoid excessive intake of foods that are rich in fats, dairy and sugar that cause adult acne and flared skin. Try and maintain a clean diet including fruits, veggies, and nuts that are rich in biotin (vitamin B) to attain healthy and even-toned skin.
Use Retinol and Vitamin C in Your Skincare
Retinol is a pivotal ingredient in the anti-ageing skincare routine. It has all the benefits of vitamin A for skin that helps prevent ageing spots, dullness and maintains a healthy skin texture. It is good for use in your nighttime skincare regime. Vitamin C is the gold standard to regulate melanin formation, preventing free radical skin damage and maintaining even-toned skin. You can use a vitamin C face serum in your daytime skincare routine to prevent skin colouration, redness, and dark spots due to acne.
Get to Know Skin-loving Acids and Vitamins
Some of the beneficiary acids like glycolic acids, salicylic acid, malic acid, and lactic acids are touted to exfoliate the skin, remove dead skin cells, and brighten up skin tone. Look for uneven skin tone products that contain some percentage of one of these acids in it and inculcate it in your skincare routine. Also, add skincare products enriched with the goodness of vitamin A, C, or B12 that help maintain a flawless-looking gorgeous complexion.
How to Prevent Uneven Skin Tone
If you would want to avoid all the hassle make sure you follow these prevention tips to avoid skin discoloration, scars and dark spots. Here goes:
- Do not scratch injured skin as it might worsen your skin condition and aggravate scarring or dark spots.
- Cover your face whenever you step out. It helps protect your skin against sun exposure and damage that causes uneven skin tone or dullness.
- Deep cleanse your face thoroughly twice a day to get rid of all the dirt and impurities collected over the day. This prevents dead skin cells and clogged pores resulting in dull and patchy skin texture.
- Moisturising is the key to healthy skin. It fortifies the natural skin barrier to protect it against hyperpigmentation and dullness.
- If you have crossed the age of 25, try & start following an anti-ageing skin care routine to prevent premature signs of ageing like fine lines and dark spots.
- Make sure you exfoliate your skin at least once a week to clear out all the debris deep-seated on the face.
- Never ever touch or scratch out active acne, pustules or pimples. This can lead to severe acne scarring and blemishes which will take months to disappear.
- Opt for regular clean-up sittings once in 25 days to revitalise your skin by removing whiteheads, blackheads, and dead skin cells that eventually lead to acne and uneven skin tone.
- Avoid touching your face very often, as the bacteria and dirt sitting on your hands get transferred to your skin resulting in infections or pimples.
Which vitamin is best to incorporate to help even skin tone?
Vitamin C is an excellent ingredient to help you attain an even skin complexion with a naturally radiant look.
How long does it take to fix uneven skin tone?
Ideally, it takes up to 3-4 months of religious skincare routines and home remedies to attain an even skin tone. However, vigilant and professional skin treatments might give you good results within 30-45 days.
Is uneven skin permanent?
No, uneven skin tone is one of the most common skin concerns and can be easily treated at home by religiously following certain home remedies for even skin tone.
What deficiency causes uneven skin tone?
Uneven skin tone is a result of sun exposure, age or medications that is mainly due to deficiency in vitamin A, E, B complex, calcium or iron.
What vitamins affect skin colour?
Vitamin D is responsible for creating healthy skin cells in the body that affect our skin colour.
There are many causes of uneven skin tone including lifestyle habits, ageing, medications and constant sun exposure. Do try out these home remedies for uneven skin tone and see what works best for you.
Watch this space often to discover more of the skincare tips and tricks to achieve the skin of your dreams!
Best Foods for Glowing Skin – Wondering which foods to consume for healthy and radiant skin? We have prepared a list of food you need to add to your daily diet to get glowing skin. Click to learn more.
Best Facial Kits for Glowing Skin – Facial kits help unclog pores, rejuvenate your skin and add a radiant glow to your face. Explore the list of best facial kits that you need to try to get an instant makeover at home.
Best Fruits for Glowing Skin – Wondering what are the best fruits to consume for glowing skin? In this article, we bring the list of fruits to incorporate in your diet to attain the skin of your dreams.