Oily skin is as irritating as greasy it feels. The problem of oily skin is not limited to increased sebum levels, it further leads to sudden breakouts, acne and scarring.
If you’ve tried everything from botting sheets to face cleansers, and still at your wits end on how to get rid of oily skin!? Fret not!
We have got you a list of natural home remedies for oily skin which actually work. Before we indulge into them, let’s understand the causes of oily skin.
What Causes Oily Skin?
The primary cause of oily skin is increased oil production by the sebaceous glands found alongside the hair follicles and beneath the epidermis. Some of the pivotal reasons behind it are extreme humidity in air, hormonal imbalance, increased stress, genetics, lifestyle changes, and sometimes even harsh skin care products.
How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin – Home Remedies For Oily Skin
Dealing with oily skin can be troublesome but not impossible. Here are some of the proven home remedies for oily skin that you need to follow on consistent basis:
Besan & Curd For Oily Skin
Besan has mild exfoliating and skin lightening properties to remove excess oil from the skin. Using it with curd helps clear clogged pores and give your skin a mattifying effect.
- How To Apply: Mix 1 tbsp of curd and besan in a small bowl. Apply it as a face mask and leave it on for 15 minutes until dry. Rinse off with warm water. Repeat the process once a week to treat oily skin.
Kiwi & Honey For Oily Skin
Kiwi compliments your skin to reduce oil and lighten acne marks on the face. It has gentle exfoliating properties to clear congested pores leaving a refreshing feel. Honey helps maintain hydration level while skin exfoliation.
- How To Apply: Take out a pulp of kiwi in a small amount. Add 1 tbsp of honey into it. Use this mixture as a face scrub and massage it for 50-60 seconds. Wash off with cool water. Repeat this process 1-2 times a week to reduce excess oil on the face naturally.
Aloe Vera & Lemon Juice For Oily Skin
Aloe Vera is a great natural ingredient to regulate sebum level and give your skin a mattifying effect. The combination of antibacterial and anti-inflammatory compounds helps remove all the debris, calm inflammation, and remove oily patches.
- How To Apply: Mix 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel and lemon juice in a small bowl. Apply it evenly to your face. Let it sit for 10-12 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water. Repeat the process every morning to get rid of oily skin.
Tomato, Turmeric, & Honey For Oily Skin
Tomato has a natural astringent and antioxidant effect on the skin. It removes excessive oiliness while adding moisture. Using it with turmeric and honey as a face mask offers long-term benefits to balance sebum production and revive your skin.
- How To Apply: Squeeze out a small amount of tomato pulp. Add 1 tbsp of honey and a pinch of turmeric powder into it. Apply the mixture to your face. After 15 minutes, wash it off with cool water.
Green Tea Rinse For Oily Skin
Green tea benefits skin to regulate oil secretion by sebaceous glands, remove pigmentation and leave a rejuvenated effect. The presence of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic compounds in green tea soothes inflamed skin, treat free radical damage and zap off unwanted bacteria.
- How To Apply: Take 1-2 green tea bags and soak it in warm water for a while. Remove the green tea into a small bowl and add 1 tbsp of honey into it. Apply the mixture to your face. Leave it for 10-12 minutes. Wash off with cool water.
Oatmeal & Honey For Oily Skin
Oatmeal has antioxidant and antiinflammatory properties to slough off dead skin cells and exfoliate clogged pores. Honey is a wonderful humectant to restore moisture balance.
- How To Apply: Grind some oatmeal into a fine powder. Add 1 tbsp of honey into it. Use this mixture as a face scrub and leave it for 5-10 minutes. Rinse off with cool water. Repeat the process 1-2 times a week to get rid of excess oil and dead skin cells.
Egg White & Lemon Juice For Oily Skin
Egg white works excellent to purify congested pores, perk up dead skin cells, and remove skin build up. Lemon is a naturally rich source of skin exfoliants like AHAs and BHAs to refine skin texture and control oil secretion making way for a naturally glowing complexion.
- How To Apply: Beat 1 egg white in a small bowl. Add a few drops of lemon juice into it. Whisk the mixture to make it frothy. Use a face pack brush to spread it evenly on your face. Leave it for 15 minutes. Wash off with warm water.
Multani Mitti & Rose Water For Oily Skin
Multani mitti has been a touted ingredient to soak up excess oil, impurities and dirt on the face. It leaves a mattifying effect on the skin while making it smooth, supple and soft.
- How To Apply: Take 1 tbsp of multani mitti and add a few drops of rose water into it. Make a smooth paste and apply it as a face pack. Allow it to dry for 15 minutes. Wash it off with cool water. Repeat the process once a week to control oil production.
Organic Harvest Recommended Best Products For Oily Skin
Organic Harvest has specially curated the purest form of natural skincare products for oily skin. Here’s the list of products you need to look for to get rid of oily skin at home:
Neem Face Wash
Organic Harvest Neem Face Wash for oily skin contains neem extracts and other organic plant-based compounds. The anti-bacterial and fungicidal properties of neem is effective to fight bacteria, soak up excess oil, and pull-off all the dirt & greasiness from the surface of the face. The gel-based texture of neem face wash benefits your skin to exfoliate congested pores, rejuvenate your skin and keep it hydrated.
Price: 295 INR
Buy Link: Neem Face Wash
Organic Vitamin B Toner
Organic Vitamin Vitamin B skin toner is specifically derived to control sebum production in excessive oily skin types. It is made using the combination of spinach and niacinamide with anti-inflammatory properties and benefits of vitamin B for skin to remove blemishes, control oil secretion, and prep your skin for moisturisation. A hydrating toner like one is a must have in your skincare routine for oily skin.
Price: 495 INR
Buy Link: Organic Vitamin B Toner
Organic Vitamin B Serum
Organic Vitamin B Serum for oily skin is infused with the combination of spinach and niacinamide. It is acne-reducing serum which comes in fast-penetrating texture to smoothen out skin texture and leave a mattifying effect on the face. It has skin-soothing and anti-inflammatory properties to prevent dark spots or blemishes.
Price: 795 INR
Buy Link: Organic Vitamin B Serum
Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea Tree Essential Oil has magnificent antibacterial and antiseptic properties to treat oil skin types. Not only it helps restore the balance in sebum levels but also prevents the onset of pimples or acne. Consistent use of tea tree oil for face works exceedingly well to cure oily acne prone skin.
Price: 795 INR
Buy Link: Tea Tree Essential Oil
Organic Vitamin B Day Cream
Organic Vitamin B Day Cream is a great concoction of spinach, niacinamide, aloe leaf extracts and organic ingredients. This face glow cream has lightweight and fast-absorbing consistency to control oil secretion and restore moisture balance in the skin. It is incredibly effective to prevent blemishes and soothe inflamed skin.
Price: 745 INR
Buy Link: Organic Vitamin B Day Cream
Sunscreen Acne/Oily Skin – SPF 60
Organic Sunscreen for Acne/Oily Skin is an oil control formula with SPF 60 for maximum UVA and UVB protection. This sunscreen for oily skin also protects your skin from the blue light of electronic devices while keeping your skin hydrated during the day. The matte-finish effect and water resistant abilities makes it an ideal choice for oily skin.
Price: 495 INR
Buy Link: Sunscreen Acne/Oily Skin – SPF 60
How To Prevent Oily Skin?
Besides using home remedies for oil skin, here are some of the prevention tips you need to follow:
- Wash your face not more than twice a day. Overdoing or overuse of face wash can also lead to oily skin.
- Make sure to stick to a skincare routine for oily skin including cleanser, toner, serum, moisturiser, and sunscreen.
- Hydration and diet is key to great skin health. Take enough intake of water during the day.
- Inculcate citrus fruits like strawberries, orange, tomato, and kiwi in your diet.
- Avoid using harsh and chemical-infused skincare products.
- Make sure to use 100% pure and vegan skincare which are sulphate-free, paraben-free, and animal ingredient-free.
- Use skincare labelled as oil-control, oil-free, or gel-based formulation.
- Avoid frequent consumption of dairy products, processed foods, and items with added sugar. These foods have a greater possibility of developing acne or pimples.
Why is my face so oily?
The sebaceous glands found under the epidermal layers of skin produce excessive oil due to one or more factors such humidity, stress, genetics, or lifestyle choices resulting in oily skin.
What hormone causes oily skin?
Fluctuation of androgen hormones is one of primary reasons for oily skin leading to excessive sebum secretion.
Does oily skin go away?
Yes, with consistent application of natural home remedies can be effective to treat oily skin.
What should I avoid if I have oily skin?
Avoid greasy and deep fried foods including dairy & sugar to prevent oily skin.
Does drinking water stop oily skin?
Yes, keeping yourself hydrated with enough water is the best way to restore oil balance on the oily skin surface.
Do cold showers prevent oily skin?
Cold water shrinks the size of pores to control excessive oil secretion making it one of the easiest ways to prevent oily skin naturally.
How do you know if you have oily skin?
Simply wash your face in the morning. Leave it for 1-2 hours. Now press a blotting sheet all over your face. If all the parts of the face including forehead, chin, nose and cheeks transfer oil on the sheet, you have an oily skin type.
Next time you think of how to control oil on the face — go au-naturel with these easy-peasy home remedies for oily skin. These remedies are simple, effective and most importantly have no side effects on the skin.
Vitamin C Serum Benefits – Vitamin C is one of the best active ingredients for skin to get rid of acne, fine lines and attain a brighter complexion. The best way to use it in our skincare routine is to opt for a vitamin C serum. It works best for all skin types. Here’re more about the slew of benefits of vitamin C serum for skin.
Home Remedies for Acne – Tried everything for acne but nothing works? Well, we have got you a gist of home remedies for acne which require not more than 2-3 kitchen ingredients only. Read on to find out the interesting recipes to make DIY packs for acne.
Skincare Routine for Acne Prone Skin – If you’re struggling with acne and pimples, all you need to do is have a basic skincare routine. This blog explains the step-by-step guide to ideal skincare routine for acne prone skin including relevant product recommendations. Hop on to learn more.
Best Face Wash for Acne Prone Skin in India – The best face wash for acne helps combat pimples, lighten blemishes, acne scars, and restore sebum balance in the face. We have handpicked some natural face wash which are 100% chemical free and gentle for acne riddance. Explore and get your hands on it today!