Face redness can be caused due to a variety of factors. Some of the preliminary signs of it include red spots on the face, small to medium size red patches on face, and bumpy skin texture.
If you’re wondering how to reduce redness on face, you’ve landed at the right place. We’ve narrowed down a list of home remedies for redness on face. But before we dive in, let’s understand the causes of redness on face in details.
What Causes Redness On Face?
Some of the major characteristics of facial redness are flushed skin (especially on cheeks and nose), small spidery blood vessels, uneven skin tone, and pimples followed by tingling or burning sensations. The primary reason behind redness on face is the dilation of blood vessels in the skin also known as flushing. Here are other common causes of redness on face:
- Post-Acne Inflammation: Redness due to pimples or acne is very common. This type of redness results from underlying inflammation, irritation or hormonal imbalance once your acne is healed or treated. This type of redness is temporary and fades with time.
- Sensitive Skin: Sensitive skin type can be tricky to handle. Using abrasive or chemical-infused skincare products disrupts the natural oil on the epidermal layers resulting in red patches on face or flushed cheeks.
- Sun Exposure: Constant exposure to the sun triggers melanin production and stretching of blood vessels leaving you with a flushed face appearance.
- Alcohol-based Skincare Products: Skincare products formulated using alcohol, parabens or harsh ingredients over-exfoliate your skin and strip off the natural moisture making it dry and reactive. Thus, showing red skin on face.
- Poor Quality Makeup: The dubious quality of the cosmetic formula is highly damaging and unsafe for your skin. Even using it once or twice can result in red spots, irritation or blotches on the skin.
- Skin Conditions: Common skin infections like rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis, eczema, and psoriasis result in facial redness, itchy rashes, and flare-ups.
How To Reduce Redness On Face – 6 Home Remedies For Face Redness
Based on the relevant cause of redness on face, you can follow some of the effortless ways to get rid of redness on face:
1. Indulge Into Facial Icing
If your skin feels dry, itchy and red, one of the benefits of rubbing ice on face is to aid in constriction of blood vessels and regulate blood flow. This process works as a cold compress treatment to reduce red patches on skin, calm inflammation, and gain relief from itching. It also keeps your skin hydrated and encourages instant pore tightening.
What You Need
Ice cubes and a clean muslin cloth
How To Apply
- Take one ice cube and wrap it in a clean muslin cloth.
- Dab it gently on the affected areas of your face for 2-3 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can dip your face in ice water to get rid of face redness quickly.
2. Use Aloe Vera Gel
One of the easy-peasy home remedies to reduce red patches on skin is to slather your face with pure aloe gel. Aloe vera gel has natural healing and cooling agents to treat red spots, itchy rashes, flushed skin and soothe inflammation. It also works as a protective barrier to avert the harmful effects of scorching sun rays and prevent sunburns.
What You Need
Aloe Vera Gel
How To Apply
- Squeeze out a coin-size amount of aloe vera gel between your palms.
- Apply and massage it gently to your face.
- Make sure to press your palms against your skin for better absorption.
- You can apply it daily before bedtime for best results.
3. Cucumber Juice And Yoghurt
With excellent anti-inflammatory and hydrating abilities, cucumber is a common solution for a variety of skin problems. It is abundant in cooling and healing compounds to get relief from mild skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis and rosacea. A fresh slice of cucumber is all you need to get rid of itching and remove redness from face.
What You Need
Fresh Cucumber and Yoghurt
How To Apply
- Take 1 tbsp of yoghurt into a small bowl
- Now chop half a size of fresh unpeeled cucumber and grind it in a blender.
- Use a cloth strainer to extract the juice and mix it with yoghurt.
- Apply the mixture to your skin and allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Splash your face with cool water and rinse.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times a week until you see desired results.
4. Massage With Honey & Turmeric Powder
Honey is a naturally rich source of antioxidants and skin-soothing elements. Turmeric is known for its antibacterial and fungicidal properties. The combination of these two powerful ingredients is effective in hydrating your skin, calming itching sensations, and healing face redness caused by common bacterial infections.
What You Need
Honey and Turmeric Powder
How To Apply:
- Add 1 tbsp of honey in a glass bowl. Mix a pinch of turmeric powder into it.
- Mix well to form a smooth face pack and apply it evenly across your face.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and pat your face dry.
- Follow this process biweekly to reduce redness on the face within a couple of weeks.
5. Add Rosewater To Your Daily Moisturiser
One of the simplest ways to reduce redness on face is to apply your everyday moisturiser with rosewater. Rosewater is very hydrating and soothing and has anti-inflammatory qualities to reduce redness on face. This mix can also treat the common symptoms of acne, psoriasis and rosacea.
What You Need
Rosewater and Moisturiser
How To Apply
- Add a few drops of rosewater to your daily face cream.
- Rub it between your palms and dab it evenly on your skin.
- Massage your face for 2 minutes.
- You will notice a reduction in face redness and skin itching.
- Inculcate rosewater in your other skincare products like serum, face scrub, and face mask to reduce redness on face quickly.
6. Green Tea Rinse
The richness of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds in green tea benefits skin by treating irritation, redness and bacterial skin infections. Anecdotal evidence states topical placement of cool green tea bags on the face or washing your face with green tea works well to lighten the appearance of red spots and evens out skin tone by reducing inflammation.
What You Need
Green Tea Bags
How To Apply
- Take 1-2 green tea bags and brew them in distilled water as you normally do.
- Allow the green tea rinse to cool down for 30-35 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Use this water to splash your face and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Wash your face with normal water and pat dry.
- Alternatively, you can dab frozen tea bags on flushed parts of your face to get rid of red spots.
Organic Harvest Recommended Best Skincare Products For Red Patches On Face
Organic Harvest offers an exclusive set of skincare products to get rid of redness on face. These products are derived from 100% plant-based compounds and are safe for daily use, and have no side effects on the skin such as irritation or rashes.
1. Organic Aloe Vera Gel With Saffron Extract
Organic Harvest Aloe Vera Gel With Saffron Extracts has excellent soothing and cooling properties to lighten red spots and heal blisters & itchy rashes on the skin. It has a deep moisturising effect on the face to protect your skin against sun exposure, cure inflammation, and treat minor skin conditions that can cause facial redness. You can use it every day before bedtime as an acne treatment at home and get relief from its post-inflammatory effects.
Price: 245 INR
Buy Link: Organic Aloe Vera Gel With Saffron Extract
2. Organic Vitamin C Sheet Mask
Organic Vitamin C Sheet Mask is a perfect blend of acai berry and daisy flower extracts. It is specially formulated to heal your skin from inflammation caused by acne, itching, and redness on the face. The nutritive serum with the benefits of vitamin C for the skin deeply conditions your skin to remove redness from face.
Price: 125 INR
Buy Link: Organic Vitamin C Sheet Mask
Skincare Tips To Prevent Red Spot On Face
Besides using the above home remedies for redness on face, here are some quick tips to remember to thwart face redness:
- Drink enough water and increase the intake of fruits in your diet to keep your skin hydrated for long hours.
- Avoid excessive intake of spicy, high-in-fats or processed foods which can worsen the condition of acne, inflammation and redness on face.
- Make sure to apply an organic sunscreen to shield your skin from sun damage causing redness, irritation or sunburns.
- Prefer cold water showers over hot water baths. It helps calm your skin, provides relief from rashes, and helps get rid of red spots on face, not acne.
- Keep a watch on your lifestyle choices of alcohol, smoking or any other addiction which can be a heavy player in triggering skin conditions that lead to facial redness and irritation.
- If you have dry or sensitive skin, avoid the usage of OTC (over-the-counter) medicines as your skin can be reactive to certain drugs resulting in red spots or patches on the skin.
- Do not over-exfoliate or over-cleanse your face. This might damage the skin’s dermal layers making it vulnerable to skin infections and loss of moisture causing dryness, irritation, and redness.
- For sensitive skin or skin with redness, use face cleansers with gentle and soothing ingredients and make sure you do not overuse them in quantity.
- Avoid applying anything that’s too hot or cold on the skin. It might enhance blood flow causing redness.
- Last but not least, use clean and organic skincare products which are devoid of any traces of synthetic substances or chemicals such as paraben, PABA, sulphates, or mineral oils.
Talk To Your Skincare Expert
Even after trying every home remedy to reduce redness on face, if you still see no visible difference, it’s time to consult your dermatologist. Your skin expert is the right person to help with the prevailing reasons for face redness and help you deal with it using sufficient medical care. Based on the severity of your skin condition and duration, you should take your dermat’s advice to reduce redness on the face quickly.
Can drinking water get rid of red face?
Drinking water benefits for skin to flush out all the toxins, keep your blood vessels from dilation, and keep up the moisture levels making it one of the most convenient ways to get rid of redness on face.
Does ice stop face redness?
Applying ice on flushed skin helps effectively reduce redness on the face, and inflammation or calms down itching. It constructs the blood vessels to slow down blood flow to reduce the appearance of red spots & rashes.
How long does a red face last?
Redness on the face can be temporary which is 1-2 hours or might last longer for weeks based on the severity of the skin condition & reason behind it.
Can aloe vera reduce redness on face?
Yes, aloe vera is a wonderful cooling and soothing natural remedy to reduce redness on face overnight.
Should I be worried if my face is red?
Redness on the face is also termed as healthy erythema that is a result of an increase in blood flow due to one or more external factors affecting the skin. If face redness lasts more than a day, opt for a natural home remedy or consult a dermatologist.
Does a red face mean an infection?
Not necessarily. Based on the severity and duration of the redness on the face you can categorise it as a skin infection (viz. psoriasis, eczema, rosacea) or simply a temporary skin reaction.
Redness on face can happen due to a variety of reasons. These home remedies are easy-going and might even cure redness on face overnight. However, if the facial redness lasts longer than usual, your skin expert can be your best help.
This is everything you need to know about the causes and ways to reduce face redness. Try and add it to your daily skincare rituals and keep the experts in loop for caution.
Home Remedies to Remove Pimple Marks– Pimple marks and acne spots are making your skin dull and pigmented. You must try these home remedies to fight stubborn pimple marks and attain clear & gorgeous-looking skin.
Home Remedies for Uneven Skin Tone – Are you into natural remedies to get glowing skin at home? Well, we have got you covered. Look up to the easy-peasy home remedies to even out patchy skin tone and achieve the brighter-looking complexion you always desired for!