No matter your skin type, tan lines are a generic problem faced by many individuals. And the most part of your body that remains exposed to the sun is your hands, legs, feet, and face. People usually indulge in self-tan removers or chemical bleaching, which can cause severe damage to your skin making it dry or rough. Then the obvious question is — how to remove tan from hands and legs naturally?
Well, all you need is a few of the natural ingredients from your pantry, and you’re all set to remove tan on hands instantly at home. Scroll through to discover some easy, effective, and safe methods to permanently get rid of tanned stripes on hands, legs, and feet.
How To Detan Hands – 6 Home Remedies To Remove Sun Tan
Are you ready to get rid of the tan on hands? Given below are some of the home remedies to remove tan from hands immediately:
1. Gram Flour, Turmeric & Youghurt
Gram flour has a natural tendency to lighten skin complexion, exfoliate dead skin, and remove any sort of greasiness. Mixing it with turmeric and yoghurt amplifies its effects to further help remove tan from hands and restore your natural skin radiance. This homemade de-tan face pack is great for rejuvenating and brightening up dull skin.
What You Need
Gram Flour, Turmeric, and Fresh Yoghurt
How To Apply
- Take ½ cup of gram flour in a small bowl. Make sure the flour has coarse particles.
- Add 1 tbsp of yoghurt and a pinch of turmeric powder to it.
- Mix well and apply it as a pack on the concerned areas to remove tan.
- Leave it until dry.
- Wash it off with cool water and pat dry.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a week until you see a visible difference.
2. Saffron, Honey & Raw Milk
Saffron is an excellent spice with moisturising, exfoliating and tan removal qualities. Using it with a mixture of honey and milk can effectively treat sunburns, revitalises dull skin texture, and even out skin tone due to the antioxidant and soothing properties of this mix. The blend of all three ingredients in this de-tan pack along with the pivotal benefits of kesar for skin helps lighten unruly tan on hands, legs and feet.
What You Need
Saffron, Raw Milk, and Honey
How To Apply
- Soak a few strands of saffron in water overnight.
- Use it in the morning with 2-3 tbsp of raw milk and honey.
- Mix all the ingredients together and form a smooth face mask.
- Apply it evenly on your hands.
- Leave it for 15 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process twice a week for impressive results.
3. Coffee & Milk Cream
Coffee is enriched with tons of antioxidants and minerals to purify clogged pores, exfoliate dead skin cells, and remove skin buildup. Milk cream has excellent skin-lightening, moisturising and soothing properties that reduce redness and discolouration due to sun tan.
What You Need
Coffee Grounds and Milk Cream
How To Apply
- Take 4 tbsp of ground coffee in a small bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp of milk cream to it.
- Mix it well to form an exfoliating face scrub.
- Apply and massage it well in small circular motions.
- Leave it for 5 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process once a week for best results.
4. Lemon, Sugar, & Honey
Lemon is high in antioxidants with the benefits of vitamin C and citric acid to reduce tan lines, promote skin cell renewal and restore your naturally glowing skin from within. On the other hand, sugar is an effective natural exfoliant to buff dead skin cells, remove sun tan, and stimulate collagen production. Also, honey feels extremely soothing and hydrating on your skin to revive your natural skin complexion.
What You Need
Lemon Juice, Granulated Sugar and Honey
How to Apply
- Take 2 tbsp of granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp of lemon juice and 2 tbsp of honey to the mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients well to form an exfoliating scrub.
- Apply and massage it in small circular motions on affected areas.
- Rinse off with cool water and pat dry.
5. Potato Juice & Yoghurt
Potatoes are a powerhouse of vitamin C, catecholase, and several hydrating compounds to minimise the appearance of suntan and stimulate the process of skin rejuvenation. Applying it with yoghurt helps soothe inflammation, lighten sun spots, and calm redness making way for even-toned skin.
What You Need
Potato Juice and Yoghurt
How To Apply
- Chop 2 unpeeled potatoes and blend it into a grinder.
- Strain the juice using a clean muslin cloth.
- Mix 1 tbsp of yoghurt into it.
- Apply and massage the mixture evenly to your hands.
- After 20 minutes, wash it off with cool water.
- Use this de-tan pack twice a week for desired results.
6. Cucumber Juice & Aloe Vera Gel
The goodness of vitamin C and anti-inflammatory agents in cucumber juice is highly effective to remove tan on hands & feet. Aloe vera gel is another rich source of vitamins and minerals which help reduce melanin production to lighten sunspots and reduce the appearance of skin discolouration.
What You Need
Pure Aloe Vera Gel and Cucumber
How to Apply
- Take 2 tbsp of pure aloe vera gel in a small bowl.
- Peel off one medium size cucumber and grind it to paste.
- Use a fine muslin cloth to strain fresh cucumber juice into a container.
- Add 3-4 tbsp of cucumber juice to it.
- Use the face pack brush to apply the mixture evenly to tanned areas.
- Leave it for 20 minutes to dry.
- Rinse off with cool water.
6 Best Products To Remove Tan From Hands
We have handpicked some of the best products to remove tan on hands naturally. These babies are 100% natural, gentle and devoid of any harsh chemicals like paraben, sulphate, or mineral oils which can make your skin sensitive to sun exposure. Given below is the list of products you need to try:
1. Organic Harvest Anti Tan Scrub
Organic Harvest Anti Tan Scrub is made to heal your skin from sun tan and even out the appearance of unruly tan lines. Made with a combination of plant-based ingredients including camphor essential oils, shea butter, and olive oil it is one of the best scrubs to remove tan on your hands. These ingredients have anti-inflammatory and exfoliating ingredients to remove dead skin cells on the hands and revitalise dull & damaged texture leaving you with soft, smooth and even-toned skin.
Price: 595 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Anti Tan Scrub
2. Organic Harvest OH Anti-tan Face Scrub: Kakadu Plum, Acai Berry & Rice Water
Organic Harvest Anti-tan Face Scrub is made with the goodness of kakadu plum, acai berry and rice water. The benefits of kakadu plum for skin helps reduce tanning on the skin, soothes sunburns, and reveals naturally glowing skin complexion, whereas rice water protects your skin against UV radiation damage. These tiny beads in the organic face scrub increases blood circulation, exfoliates dead skin cells, and repairs damaged texture leaving you with soft and even toned skin appearance.
Price: 599 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Anti-tan Face Scrub: Kakadu Plum, Acai Berry & Rice Water
3. Organic Harvest All Skin SPF 50 Sunscreen: Kakadu Plum, Acai Berry & Chia Seeds
Organic Harvest All Skin SPF 50 Sunscreen is specially formulated with exotic ingredients like kakadu plum, acai berry and chia seeds to get an even tone skin appearance. This is the best sunscreen for everyday use as it comes in a lightweight consistency to quickly glide into the skin for maximum protection against UVA and UVB rays of the sun. The water-resistant formulation makes it useful to apply before swimming or other sports activities.
Price: 465 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest All Skin SPF 50 Sunscreen
4. POPxo Beach Bum Multi-use Sunscreen Spray SPF 50 Pa+++
POPxo Beach Bum Multi-Use Sunscreen Spray is a water-resistant and lightweight sunscreen for the face and body. It is a great everyday sunscreen to break the tan lines, grease, and pesky hyperpigmentation spots. This dermatologically-tested sunscreen contains superfood oils to offer 98% of UVB protection and proffer required nourishment.
Price: 349 INR
Buy Link: POPxo Beach Bum Multi-use Sunscreen Spray SPF 50 Pa+++
5. The Mom’s Co. Natural Coffee Cranberry Body Scrub
The Mom’s Co. Natural Coffee Cranberry Body Scrub has excellent exfoliating and skin-lightening qualities to heal sun damage. Made with the combination of 5 plant AHAs, coffee and cranberry seeds, it boosts microcirculation on the skin and removes tan lines to restore the natural skin complexion. Not only it helps exfoliate dead skin cells, but also leaves your skin utterly nourished, soft and refreshing.
Price: 450 INR
Buy Link: The Mom’s Co. Natural Coffee Cranberry Body Scrub
6. St.Botanica Nature’s Vitamin C Brightening Sunscreen SPF 50
St.Botanica’s Nature’s Vitamin C Brightening Sunscreen SPF 50 is made with the blend of kakadu plum to protect your skin from sun damage, prevent tanning and sunburns. Infused with the richness of vitamin C and antioxidants, this sunscreen not only acts as a shield against environmental stressors but also helps to get rid of uneven skin tone, improve texture, and add a natural skin glow. It is the best sunscreen to defy the effect of UVA and UVB rays and keep your skin hydrated and healthy all day long.
Price: 749 INR
Buy Link: St.Botanica Nature’s Vitamin C Brightening Sunscreen SPF 50
Tips On How To Prevent Sun Tan Naturally From Hands And Legs
Besides following hand tanning home remedies, these are the tips you need to keep in mind to protect your hands from sun tan if you’re a beach loving creature:
- Never skimp on your daily sunscreen. Also, make sure to apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen formula with a minimum SPF of 30.
- Wear full-sleeve t-shirts and pants to protect yourself from the scorching heat of the sun. Cover your face as well if possible.
- If you’re more into outdoor activities or sports like swimming, use a sunscreen block with SPF 50+ and PA++ (UVA Protection Index).
- Pure aloe vera gel works as a natural sunscreen for oily skin. It acts as a protective barrier against tanning and photo-ageing of skin.
- You can prevent tanning yourself with other accessories like hats, sunglasses, gloves, and parasols for maximum UV protection.
- Avoid stepping out during peak hours between 12 pm to 4 pm when the UV rays are strongest to cause collagen breakdown, tanning and hyperpigmentation.
- Be cautious with certain medications which increase sensitivity to the sun resulting in tanning and sunburns.
How many days do natural remedies take to remove tan from hands?
Natural home remedies usually take 7-10 days to remove tan from hands.
How can I remove tan from my hands fast?
The best way to remove tan from hands is to make a DIY body scrub: Mix 2 tbsp of honey, 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of granulated sugar. Apply and go about in small circular motions. Leave for 20 minutes and wash it off. Repeat the process twice a week to see impressive results.
Is sun tan permanent?
No, sun tanning is temporary and it fades away with time. You can mix 1 tbsp of baking soda and 2 tbsp of coconut oil to apply as a tan removal pack to get rid of tan from the face or body.
Next time you wonder about how to remove hand tan permanently, try out one of the home remedies to remove tan from hands. Unlike chemical bleaching, these are natural & safe hand tan removal treatments which don’t cause any side effects on the skin such as abrasion, redness, or irritation.
Sandalwood Face Pack – Sandalwood is an amazing skin-lightening and brightening ingredient which helps give you instantly glowing skin. Read along to discover some of the interesting recipes to make Chandan face packs at home.
Kesar Face Pack at Home – Saffron (kesar) is one of the finest and most expensive spices in India. It is a touted ingredient to cure dryness, smoothen texture and exfoliate dead skin. Apply these kesar face packs at home and attain the naturally beautiful skin you have always desired.
Benefits of Hibiscus for Skin – Wondering if hibiscus really useful for skin? This blog caters to the incredible benefits of hibiscus to get rid of acne, soothe inflammation, and tighten pores. Explore now!
How to Make Rice Water for Face – Rice water is great for skin to smoothen out fine lines, control oiliness, and protect against sun damage. It is one of the effective remedies to boost natural glow and minimise acne scarring. Here are many reasons for using rice water for your face.