Toner is basically used to revive your skin after cleansing, remove residual impurities, and prepare your skin for further steps in skincare. It still remains the most neglected step of a daily skincare routine. But not anymore.
By the end of this blog, you’ll have all the answers to the benefits of using toner, how to use toner on face and how to choose the right toner for your skin type.
Before we begin, let’s quickly take a look at what is toner and why you should use one.
What Is Toner And Why Is It Important For Skin?
Toner is a skincare tonic with a water-based consistency to provide a quick dose of hydration to the skin while eliminating the last traces of facial cleanser, restoring pH balance, and shrinking the appearance of enlarged pores. It is a vital part of CTM for all skin types to increase the skin’s absorption capacity for oncoming skincare products. This means it allows better penetration of serum, face oil, and moisturiser into the skin.
How To Use Toner On Face?
Now that we know the importance of using a toner, here’s how to apply toner:
#1 Use Toner On Face With Cotton Pad
This method helps balance sebum secretion and has a mild exfoliating effect to lift off dead skin and rejuvenates the skin. If you’re looking to get the benefits of toner for oily skin, this is the best way to take away all the dirt and excess oil clogged into the pores.
- Take a cotton pad and add a few drops of toner to it.
- Start by applying it on the centre of the face and wipe it all across the neck, forehead & chin areas in an outward direction.
- Follow it up with your regular skincare routine.
#2 Use Toner On Face With Palms
This method offers maximum hydration to the skin while restoring the skin’s pH level. It leaves an astringent effect on the face due which helps tightens pores and refresh the skin.
- Make sure your hands are squeaky clean.
- Take a generous amount of toner on your palms.
- Apply and gently dab the product all over your face.
- Top it off with your regular serum, moisturiser or skincare products.
#3 Use Toner On Face As A Face Mist
It is the easiest way to apply toner on your face. Add the toner to a spray bottle for everyday use. You can also carry it in your bag when you step out to mist it on and rehydrate your face at intervals.
- Take the spray bottle with the toner and simply spritz it on your face.
- Use your hands to lightly spread the product on your face.
- Apply your regular skin care treatment products.
#4 Use Toner On Face As A Sheet Mask
This method provides enhanced hydration to your skin, ensures increased absorption of skincare products and revives a natural glow. It is a fancy way to use the toner to prep your skin for makeup application or even relax after a busy day. Also, if you’ve sensitive skin, it can be your go-to solution to make a DIY sheet mask.
- Take a compressed sheet mask on a small plate.
- Keep adding the toner to it until you see the sheet mask expand.
- Open it wide and wear the sheet mask as you normally do.
- Leave it for 1-2 minutes and take it off.
What Are The Benefits Of Toner For Your Face?
Toner is the second important step in your CTM routine to make the most of your skincare products. Given below are some of the benefits of using toner on the face:
- After cleansing, a toner helps restore the pH balance in the skin.
- It offers a hydration boost to your face and allows better penetration of skincare products like moisturiser and serum.
- It helps you get rid of the remains of cleanser, dirt and excess oil on the surface of the face giving you a clean canvas to apply skincare products.
- It has mild exfoliating and soothing qualities to slough off dead skin cells and clear out congested pores keeping your skin clean, clear and hydrated.
- As it has an astringent effect on the skin, it also helps shrink the size of enlarged pores and tighten your skin.
6 Best Toners For Your Skin
We end your quest for the best toners for different skin types and concerns. Have a look at the best natural toners for face and pick your favourite from the list below:
1. Organic Harvest Acne Control Mattifying Face Toner: Neem & Tulsi
Organic Harvest Acne Control Mattifying Face Toner is made with the benefits of Neem & Tulsi to get rid of all the dirt, grime and treat minor skin infections. This toner comes with 3-in-1 action to hydrate, exfoliate, and tighten pores. It also helps fight the acne-causing bacteria on the face’s surface to prevent breakouts, rejuvenate your skin and enhance your face glow. If you’re looking for a toner for the oily acne-prone skin type, this one can be your best buy.
Price: 445 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Acne Control Mattifying Face Toner: Neem & Tulsi
2. Organic Harvest Youthful Glow Face Toner: Saffron & Oat Milk
Organic Harvest Youthful Glow Face Toner is made with the goodness of saffron and oat milk. It helps wipe out the dirt, residue and impurities from the face post-cleansing while leaving a moisturising effect. It reduces pigmentation and protects your skin from daily wear and tear. Infused with the benefits of vitamin A for skin, it helps prevent the onset of wrinkles and adds a radiant glow to your face.
Price: 495 INR
Buy Link: Organic Harvest Youthful Glow Face Toner: Saffron & Oat Milk
3. MyGlamm Glow Iridescent Brightening Toner
MyGlamm Glow Iridescent Brightening Toner is infused with rosehip oil, hyaluronic acid, glycerine and more. This is a great toner to restore lost moisture after face wash, improve skin elasticity and leave a naturally radiant effect on the skin. The lightweight consistency glides well into the dermal layers of the skin to fight dryness and itching keeping your skin soft & refreshed.
Price: 995 INR
Buy Link: MyGlamm Glow Iridescent Brightening Toner
4. The Mom’s Co. Natural Vitamin C Daily Face Toner
The Mom’s Co. Natural Vitamin C Daily Face Toner is enriched with vitamin C, green tea, aloe vera, and niacinamide. This toner is apt for all skin types to remove the last traces of cleanser, balance skin pH levels, and give your skin a quick hit of hydration. The benefits of vitamin C for skin also help soak up excess oil and rejuvenate your skin while leaving a mattifying effect on the face.
Price: 393 INR
Buy Link: The Mom’s Co. Natural Vitamin C Daily Face Toner
5. St.Botanica Aloe Vera, Green Tea & Cucumber Face Toner
St.Botanica Aloe Vera, Green Tea & Cucumber Face Toner is a quick-absorbing and hydrating toner which helps clear out clogged pores, remove all the grime on the face, and restore lost moisture. It sinks well into the epidermal layers to provide required hydration, reduce oiliness on the face, and soothe irritation. It can be your ideal choice of toner to keep your skin nourished & healthy.
Price: 339 INR
Buy Link: St.Botanica Aloe Vera, Green Tea & Cucumber Face Toner
6. St.Botanica Bulgarian Rose Otto Glow Deep Hydration Facial Toner
St.Botanica Bulgarian Rose Otto Glow Deep Hydration Facial Toner contains premium botanical ingredients with skin-hydrating, nourishing and brightening properties. It helps control excess oil secretion, eliminates all the debris, and restores moisture balance in the skin. It can be a great addition to your daily skincare routine to keep your skin hydrated, glowing and healthy.
Price: 399 INR
Buy Link: St.Botanica Bulgarian Rose Otto Glow Deep Hydration Facial Toner
How To Choose The Right Toner For Your Skin Type?
Toners offer targeted skincare solutions for different skin types. It contains a combination of skin hydrating, exfoliating and soothing ingredients based on your skin needs. Here’s everything you need to know before buying toner for your skin:
- Dry Skin: Look for ultra-nourishing and hydrating natural compounds vitamin A, E, aloe vera, and cucumber extracts.
- Oily Acne-Prone Skin: A toner with AHAs and BHAs (natural skin exfoliants), like glycolic acid and salicylic acid, helps regulate oil production in the skin and shrinks large pores.
- Combination Skin: For combination skin type, you can use toners infused with a mix of green tea, cucumber, neem, tulsi, and tea tree extracts that have a hydrating as well as an astringent effect on the face.
- Sensitive Skin: Use alcohol-free toners with soothing & anti-inflammatory agents to avoid any kind of irritation or burning sensation on the skin.
Can I use toner every day?
Yes, one should use toner on a daily basis after cleansing the face and before applying face moisturiser for maximum absorption of products.
When should we apply toner?
Yes, one should apply a toner for the face twice in your skincare routine in the morning and at night.
How to use toner for oily skin?
The best way to use toner for oily skin is to apply it using a cotton pad and wipe it across your face and neck areas.
How to use toner for dry skin?
For dry skin, take a few drops of toner in your palms, spread it all over your face and press it into your skin for maximised hydration.
Can I leave the toner on my face overnight?
You can apply the toner on your face during your nighttime skincare routine and leave it overnight during sleep.
Is rosewater a toner?
Yes, rosewater has excellent soothing and hydrating effects on the skin which can also be used as a natural face toner.
Can I skip toner?
No, toner is a critical part of your skincare routine after face wash to prep your skin for further skincare steps, increase skin’s absorption capacity and remove the last traces of cleanser.
What should I apply after toner?
After toner, one should apply a face serum followed by a moisturiser to keep your skin hydrated and nourished for long hours.
The very first step in a skincare routine is to use a facial cleanser to wash your face thoroughly and make it squeaky clean. Next up, apply a toner in a suitable way given to your skincare needs —be it using a cotton ball, spreading with the palms or spritzing it on the face!
So, next time you second guess whether to use a toner or not, think about the ample skincare benefits you’re missing.
How to Remove Dead Skin from Face – Dead skin cells can make your skin look dull, lifeless and patchy. If not treated on time, it can further damage your texture resulting in acne or breakouts. Try out these simple yet effective home remedies to get rid of dead skin cells at home.