To remove pigmentation is a patient task of its own. It is not painful or itchy but makes you self-conscious about your appearance. And let’s be honest who doesn’t love clear-looking, even-toned skin?
We understand your pain of dull and pigmented skin. This blog reveals the proven home remedies for pigmentation. Read along to understand what pigmentation, hyperpigmentation causes, and more.
What is Pigmentation & Hyperpigmentation on Face?
Hyperpigmentation/Pigmentation is when the skin cells produce more melanin, the darker pigment in the skin that is responsible for skin colour. Over-production of melanin by melanocyte cells in the epidermal layers of the skin leaves dark spots or patches on the skin. These spots can be dark brown, black, red, or pink depending on the severity of the hyperpigmentation on the face.
What Causes Pigmentation?
Pigmentation is a common skin condition and affects all skin types. Intense sun exposure, skin inflammation, or injury are one of the many reasons for skin pigmentation. Here is the list of factors that are causes of pigmentation on the face:
- Genetics or Family History
- Food Allergies such as dairy products causing acne and dark spots
- Post inflammatory Pigmentation due to skin injury including cuts, wounds, burns
- Skin Damage due to Sun Exposure and Free Radicals
- Hormonal changes due to Pregnancy or Puberty
- Nutritional Deficiency (Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid)
- Skin reaction to certain medications
7 Home Remedies for Pigmentation
If you are worried about how to get rid of pigmentation at home? Try out these home remedies for pigmentation on face:
Apple Cider Vinegar for Pigmentation
Apple Cider Vinegar contains acetic acid which is very effective in reducing the appearance of dark spots and pigmentation over time. Skin experts always advise using ACV for pigmentation in its diluted form or it might result in adverse skin reactions and an imbalance in sebum levels.
- How to Apply: Mix equal parts of Apple Cider Vinegar and Water. Take it between your palms and dab it gently all over your face. Leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water. Repeat the process 1-2 times a week.
Curd and Gram Flour for Pigmentation
Gram flour have natural skin-lightening and soothing properties. Curd is rich in lactic acid that helps in lightening the melanin pigment in the epidermis. Both work together to control excess oil, and acne while fading hyperpigmentation and ageing spots on the face.
- How to Apply: Mix 2 tbsp of curd and 1 tbsp of gram flour. Make a smooth paste and apply it all over the face. Leave it for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Repeat the process once a week to get rid of pigmentation.
Tea Tree Oil and Coconut Oil for Pigmentation
Tea Tree is one of the best essential oils to deal with pigmentation and dark spots. As it is high in concentration with active ingredients it is always used with carrier oils like coconut oil. Coconut Oil contains lauric acid to soothe inflamed skin, reduce dark spots and replenish dull skin.
- How to Apply: Mix 2-3 drops of Tea Tree Oil in 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Take it between your fingers and massage the oil to your face. It is best to apply it daily before bedtime and wash your face in the morning.
Pro-tip: If you have sensitive skin or specific skin allergies make sure to do a patch test before using it on the entire face. If there are no reactions, you are safe to use it further.
Aloe Vera and Lemon Juice for Pigmentation
Aloe Vera has natural depigmenting compounds that help reduce pigmentation and dark spots on the face. Lemon juice is full of antioxidants and Vitamin C that stimulate the process of shedding dead skin and removing pigmentation permanently.
- How to Apply: Add a few drops of lemon juice to 1 tbsp of pure Aloe Vera Gel. Stir it well to make a face mask. Apply the mixture to your face and let It dry. Wash it off with warm water after 15 minutes. Repeat the process twice a week for desired results.
Tomato Pulp for Pigmentation
Tomato is rich in Vitamin C, E and beta carotene which eliminate dark spots, and pigmentation and help in restoring natural skin complexion. It is one of the major sources of antioxidants to protect against free radical damage and reduce dark spots due to sun exposure and ageing.
- How to Apply: Extract the tomato pulp into a small bowl. Apply it as a mask on affected areas. Leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse off with cool water. Repeat the process twice a week for best results.
Papaya and Honey for Pigmentation
Papaya act as a strong exfoliator for the skin to shed off dead skin cells and clear out the pack of melanin pigments on the skin. It has beta carotene to improve skin complexion and texture. Honey helps in the removal of residual acne and curing your skin from hyperpigmentation.
- How to Apply: Take a small amount of Papaya pulp into a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of honey to it. Mix it well and apply it as a face mask. Allow it to dry for 15 minutes. Rinse off the mask with lukewarm water. Repeat the process twice a week. Alternatively, you can only apply a thin layer of honey as a face mask as a pigmentation treatment.
Milk and Turmeric for Pigmentation
If you have dark patches and uneven skin tone, turmeric does wonders to your skin. Milk has skin soothing and moisturising properties to revive dull skin. The combination of these two ingredients is an easy-to-do pigmentation treatment at home.
- How to Apply: Take 1 tbsp of milk and add ¼ tbsp of turmeric powder. Mix it well and massage the mixture all over your face for about 2-3 minutes. Wash your face with warm water. Repeat the process 2-3 times a week to get rid of pigmentation permanently.
Baking Soda and Lemon Juice for Pigmentation
Baking Soda has mild exfoliating properties to deeply cleanse the pores and reduce dead skin cells causing pigmented skin. The mixture of Baking Soda, Lemon and honey work best to reduce stubborn pigmented spots.
- How to Apply: Take 1 tbsp of baking soda, 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of honey. Stir it well to form a face scrub. Use it after face wash to scrub your face and top it off with a moisturiser. Repeat the process once a week.
Black Tea Water
Skin experts suggest that tea is a rich source of antioxidants. Applying it on the face helps fight hyperpigmentation, and reduce dark spots due to UV rays and ageing.
- How to Apply: Add black tea leaves to a cup of boiling water. Let it boil for about half an hour and then strain the water into a clean bowl. Use a cotton ball to apply the black tea water to pigmented areas. Repeat it daily for 3-5 weeks until you see desirable results.
Organic Harvest Recommended Products for Pigmentation
Organic Harvest brings you an extensive range of products for pigmentation including the best cream for hyperpigmentation, face serum and organic oil to help cure blemishes, dark spots, or ageing spots. All of these products are organic, safe and offer long-term benefits. Here’s the list of the best product for pigmentation:
Luminosity – Anti Pigmentation Cream
Organic Harvest Luminosity Anti-Pigmentation Cream is made with plant-derived ingredients like red guava extract, black currant seed oil and bearberry extract. This is the best cream for pigmentation on the face as it helps remove dead skin cells, regulates melanin production and prevents wrinkle formation giving a natural healthy glow to the skin.
Price: 695 INR
Buy Link: Click Here
Luminosity – Anti Pigmentation Serum
Organic Harvest Luminosity Anti-Pigmentation Serum is made with red guava, organic daisy and white mulberry extract. This ultra-hydrating serum is best for lightening pigmentation on the face leaving a radiant glow on the skin. This is the best anti-pigmentation serum that reduces melanin production, protects your skin from sun damage, and prevents wrinkle formation giving an even skin tone.
Price: 1496 INR
Buy Link: Click Here
Organic Kumkumadi Oil – 30ml
Organic Kumkumadi Oil is made with a unique formulation combining Saffron powder and 9 oils, this oil is extremely effective in treating a myriad of skin conditions. It works particularly well for all skin types to reduce blemishes, dark spots, ageing skin & acne. It helps in skin lightening and improving overall skin texture.
Price: 795 INR
Buy Link: Click Here
How long does it take for pigmentation to fade?
For any kind of skin pigmentation or dark spots, it takes at least 3-4 months to fade completely.
Is aloe vera good for pigmentation?
Yes, Aloe Vera contains ‘aloesin’ a depigmenting compound that removes pigmentation or dark spots on your face. Apply it every day before bedtime and rinse off in the morning to see desirable results in 15-20 days.
What food causes pigmentation?
Food is not directly associated with Pigmentation. But the skin-allergic content in the food might cause acne or trigger hormonal imbalance which leads to hyperpigmentation, scars or dark spots.
Can pigmentation be cured permanently?
Yes, Pigmentation can be cured permanently if you religiously follow an anti-pigmentation skincare routine, home remedies, and treatments.
Does drinking water reduce pigmentation?
Drinking enough water of about 3-4 litres a day aids in the process of reducing pigmentation and hydrates your skin keeping the chances of dull and pigmented skin at bay.
Next time you wonder – how to remove pigmentation from the face permanently at home — make a note of these home remedies for hyperpigmentation.
The process of pigmentation treatment at home is simple but a task of dedication.
If you’re tired of doing all these pigmentation home remedies, get your hands on the best product for pigmentation at Organic Harvest and it will make your life easy for sure!